OpenMarine

Full Version: nano to pi connections
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all

I'm implementing openplotter and pypilot in a 42 foot steel yacht with a hydraulic autopilot. The nano/ibt-2 and pi will be 5M apart.

I need help with connection between the nano and pi and connecting a NEO-6M gps to the pi.

Power supply:
I plan to use an LM2596 connected to the 5V pin of the nano. Should 5V from the same LM2596 also run the pi or do I need another LM2596?

Serial data:
Can I use cat6 cable between the nano and pi?.

GPS:
Is the NEO-6M up to the job? If so how do I connect a NEO-6M gps to the pi, if not whats the best alternative.

IMU:
Ive got an ICM20948 on the way. I plan to mount this on top of the cabin. Can I use cat6 to connect to the pi?

Thanks for your time?
Hi Steve, I use cat5 for an ICM, but changed the wiring a little bit - see here >
https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread....4#pid25584

For gps I use a cheap ublox 7 usb one, have it mounted in a little plastic box by the main hatch as I'm also on a steel boat. Never gets turned off & has been fine for a few years now.

LM2596 might be a bit on the small side, Sean would know more, but these seem to be popular, lots on ebay >
[Image: eEf9eBb.png]