OpenMarine

Full Version: Install openPlotter to a USB pen drive (RP3)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I have been RP3 booting Raspbian from a USB pendrive (without any SD card installed). That was pretty straight forward. I just copied the Raspbian image to a USB pendrive & it booted.
However, I have not been able to achieve this with the openPlotter NOOBS distribution, after trying lots of things.
Has anyone tried this and had it working?
Is it possible to have a distribution of an  openPlotter.img which can be copied directly to SD or USB.

Lee
I moved mine to an USB SSD drive by copying everything then putting redirects on the SD card, so there's still some minimal parts of the system on the SD card, but it only gets used at boot time.

Supposedly there is a way to permanently and irreversibly force an RP3 to always boot from USB, but I've never been able to get it to work. I guess that's what you are talking about?
this is the part i dont like about it.......
"Note that any change you make to the OTP is permanent and cannot be undone."

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentatio...des/msd.md

i used berryboot in the past
(2017-07-16, 01:05 PM)abarrow Wrote: [ -> ]I moved mine to an USB SSD drive by copying everything then putting redirects on the SD card, so there's still some minimal parts of the system on the SD card, but it only gets used at boot time.

Supposedly there is a way to permanently and irreversibly force an RP3 to always boot from USB, but I've never been able to get it to work. I guess that's what you are talking about?

Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I have got both of my RP3's modified to boot USB devices OK.  Yes, it is irreversable but that does not matter, as the SD card will always boot first and the USB will only boot if there is no bootable SD card present after about 5 seconds.
This is done by setting/(clearing?) a bit in One Time Programmable ROM.
I also had trouble doing this with my openPlotter NOOBS installation, but when I tried it with a later version of Raspbian, it works first time!  I am sure you have been where I have been.
So use the latest version of Raspbian, add the required lin to add the OTP burning bit and then check to see if it has burnt OK and you are good to go.

I have got the latest version of Raspbian booting off a USB stick, WITHOUT ANY SD CARD PRESENT!   No problems.  However, it was done by copying an the SD image, which on booting expands the file system etc. etc. and gives you the full blown Raspbian, with all the things that are needed.

I am trying to do the same with the openPlotter which has been installed using NOOBS, by creating an image, which can be copied to a USB in a similar way, but there are obviously some issues that I don't know or understand. (I am not a Linux guru!).   The image looks OK on the USB stick, but it will not boot after 5 seconds!  It does seem to come down to that images work but NOOBS installations do not work.

So, a bootable image of openPlotter which can be blown onto an SD card or a USB stick would cover both cases and is no more difficult to do than using NOOBS.

The other way to go, is if for openPlotter to be installable to any (preferably slimmed down Raspbian installation) via the Software Program manager from a repository/PPA.

Regards,
Lee