OpenMarine

Full Version: can chip
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i have ordered a breakout terminal hat it has a proto board section and i plan on putting a MCP3008 adc and screw terminals on there.
i would also like to add can bus is the MCP2551 can bus a good chip to use for this ?or do i need the controller chip also.
i am planning to connect it to uart pins on pi dev/ttyS0 .. would that work out?

Thanks 
Jim
No.
You need mcp2515 and a can transceiver (like mcp2551). You need high speed communication over spi not uart (additonal processor load will be used).
It is recommended to use a mcu with a build in can interface. (many stm32, teensy 3.2, arduino due, BananaPi/Beaglebone with A20 processor they only need a transceiver.
If this works you have to work with socketcan. Openplotter gui hasn't got socketcan support sorry.
It also would be better to use an isolated can transceiver.
(If you don't want much trouble use Actisense NGT-1 or Isolated USB - N2K converter).
Thanks i do have an esp32 which has can. maybe i can "pun intended" utilize that i dont have any nema 2k yet but looking forward.
thanks again you saved me some $$..
Jim
(2017-08-27, 05:15 PM)jim321 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks i do have an esp32 which has can. maybe i can "pun intended" utilize that i dont have any nema 2k yet but looking forward.
thanks again you saved me some $$..
Jim

Did look in my box for electronic parts and die found this one. Can it be used? I also have no NMEA2000