OpenMarine

Full Version: Suggestion for updated install pkg
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
The noobs .10 install pkg is getting  long in the tooth and requires many updates -not good over cell connections. (Just had to do it)  Suggest not using noobs in the next pkg release.  Building an install pkg  to be installed over The std Raspian install will allow you boot from a usb device such as an ssd or even usb stick which is more reliable.  The noobs install will not permit this.
(2017-10-18, 03:21 AM)waterman480 Wrote: [ -> ]The noobs .10 install pkg is getting  long in the tooth and requires many updates -not good over cell connections. (Just had to do it)  Suggest not using noobs in the next pkg release.  Building an install pkg  to be installed over The std Raspian install will allow you boot from a usb device such as an ssd or even usb stick which is more reliable.  The noobs install will not permit this.

Think this has already been discussed and is in the pipeline >
http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=662

Maybe not until raspbian stretch has been implemented?
(2017-10-18, 03:21 AM)waterman480 Wrote: [ -> ]The noobs .10 install pkg is getting  long in the tooth and requires many updates -not good over cell connections. (Just had to do it)  Suggest not using noobs in the next pkg release.  Building an install pkg  to be installed over The std Raspian install will allow you boot from a usb device such as an ssd or even usb stick which is more reliable.  The noobs install will not permit this.

I agree. Maybe a poll helps. I also plan to bring Openplotter to a state that i can run it from harddisc. Its more save against data lost. I like to run also a spider that is searching for different marine articles and save them localy so i can read offline. Its something i saw in different apps. 

If i can run it on harddisk or ssd than i am able to admit a security layer to Openplotter with fail2ban that protect from attacks from the internet. Fail2Ban needs often the harddisc use and for this its difficult to implement it in the normal way on raspberry pi.
The problem here is that we need to modify some files and parameters of the system, not just installing dependencies to build openplotter.

The NOOBS version of OP 0.10.0 does not work for disk/usb installation but latest ones do. I think NOOBS is the best way of distributing OP but we will try to built an img file too for next version (stretch).

Anyway I have never used pkg, have you? any test with OP?
(2017-10-18, 04:42 PM)Sailoog Wrote: [ -> ]The problem here is that we need to modify some files and parameters of the system, not just installing dependencies to build openplotter.

The NOOBS version of OP 0.10.0 does not work for disk/usb installation but latest ones do. I think NOOBS is the best way of distributing OP but we will try to built an img file too for next version (stretch).

Anyway I have never used pkg, have you? any test with OP?

I can make you a contact to ward mundy usa to bring you the secrets... his incredible pbx is running on everything that smells like linux... its similar how you work... 
It have mainly nothing to do with marine buts my way i set up every linux... because of their robustness... and their 8 layers security hardness. After this i install than the things i need by hand...  Its also a way i thing about... To install openplotter on a main system, must not be a raspberry... and there i need the GPIOs can be installed on a low cost raspberry or my old lovely beaglebone black. That way i can run Openplotter on a virtual machine... so my idea for the next years... Smile

I did register for my Grundel approx 300 Phone numbers with google and this way every guest or passenger can phone international for free also are enough mobile and fax numbers reserved. Do not wonder, have special ideas with so much numbers...

Anyways it will be nice after there is stability, to install Openplotter with a script on top of an existing system.
tocan
you renewed my interest in Asterisk i haven't played with that for years.
we had some of the original hackers here "phone phreaks " one even had our area code changed to 321 i live close to the space center and he thought 321 was appropriate it was originally set for commercial use some how he convinced the powers that be that we should have it Smile
i am going to try Incredible PBX on a orange pi zero..
jim
(2017-10-19, 09:51 AM)jim321 Wrote: [ -> ]tocan
you renewed my interest in Asterisk i haven't played with that for years.
we had some of the original hackers here "phone phreaks " one even had our area code changed to 321 i live close to the space center and he thought 321 was  appropriate  it was originally set for commercial use some how he convinced the powers that be that we should have it Smile
i am going to try Incredible PBX on a orange pi zero..
jim

I do not know it will run on a pi zero, i do not have one for the moment. Did buy a Raspi 3 just did arive for 24 $ with promo code from ward mundy.

Set up i was thinking so... to setup openplotter on the base of incredible pbx. I did a long time use Wazo but at cloud at cost just... still runs without hickle for a livetime fee i gues was 3,50 Euros just. Ok its just a virtual achine there and should normal run for playing with it, because of their stability and service is nothing. but what you expect for this price.. its a sandbox... i thought if some files going corrupt i set up in 5 minuts a backup. NP.

Before to go for the most of topic.

https://pbxinaflash.com/community/forums/

developers part i like most. So you get a spirit of what you have to expect On next monday when Ward rolls out the next versions what are tested there.

But i looked arround and did found... Xivo i did like much. http://nerdvittles.com/?p=19286

Follow the exact description and special any given link and the keywords... If you are outside usa maybe do not wonder it does not work because the includet security prevent any access from outside maybee... Whats shure not integrated is the fail2ban because of immense writing anything all the time. It will destroy yours sd card. 
http://nerdvittles.com/?p=19286

In case you like to know more i did wrote a lot of articles and how to at http://tocan.de at the moment 29 persons use it for free and i pay 12 euros for 4 month for near worldwide free phone. a pee is good for 20 -100 similar phonecalls at same time.

I was able to install Openplotter without problems on a USB drive. Simply download the latest version of NOOBS, overwrite the NOOBS files from the openplotter 0.10.0 download by mixing folders and overwriting existing folders and files. Then we can connect our USB(NOOBS) and start the installation.

If the USB boot flag is already activated in our Rpi 3, the system will start from the USB after a few seconds. I've already checked it successfully.

It is true that NOOBS steals a certain portion of disk space, but having the ability to restore a system if this fails is something very valuable.

I personally have compiled an updated version of openplotter based on jessie but with the system updates until today (including the WPA safety patch) and with the 0.16.0beta version of openplotter updated and graphically tuned to my personal liking. It also includes the latest version of NOOBS and is therefore bootable from USB systems. Checked.

while sailoog compiles the 0.16.0 build based on stretch.......   Angel
Hi Waterman, can you provide yours system somehow? Please od not use Mega for download and give maybe a more step by step instruction? i did plan to use my old squeezebox or logitech multimediacenter to openplotter but i did failed in this because of dependancies. I saw that still one developer makes start to make a plugin for alexa.

So future plan somehow is that i did store some boating magacines in my Books and paper libary. Via RSS Alexa or google can use the TTS machine. Did find a nice wordpress plugin doing this for Alexa. This way i can maybe provide a flexible Marine Skill for Alexa. Including Simple weather. I just look for a possibility to keep the local weather data via Signal k inside.
monos is the one that did this. However, I will be trying it the next time I get to shore - too expensive to do it by cell phone.
Pages: 1 2