OpenMarine

Full Version: SDR AIS setup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that I have a reliable USB hub I thought I'd try my DVB device as an AIS receiver.  I went through the calibration steps and came up with a correction of around -50.

I've enabled AIS reception.  I was previously using an external USB receiver via a serial USB so I disabled that. However, I have no idea how to 'see'/use the AIS stream. The NMEA window shows no mention of it. And there's no AIS data on the kplex tcp port. Have i missed a step somewhere?  Clearly the device is working else the calibration wouldn't work. It's a 130 mile round trip to the boat to be able to receive some AIS signals so I'd like to have a plan to resolve it next time.
So, it seems you don't have to do anything ...

The reason it wasn't working before was because of the crappy telescopic antenna that came with it.  Once I connected a proper VHF antenna, the waterfall display went blue and I could 'see' the AIS bursts.  Opencpn used the data automatically .
Yes, OP is ready out of the box to get ASR AIS. Just calibrate.

The mini antenna is for FM radio. You need a VHF size antenna.