OpenMarine

Full Version: Install OpenPlotter to Linux environment instead of Raspberry Pi?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is it possible? From my basic understanding of a Linux install vs Raspberry Pi environment I don't see why not.

I'm stumbling through the theory of compiling under a Linux environment but, for myself and others interested, could someone explain the process in brief steps?

Thanks!
i don't think you can, openplotter is designed for arm processors, if your linux is running on a computer with x86 then it wont work...

you can try out navigatrix http://navigatrix.net/
but you wont have gpio's
i run them both.. Smile
I was an OPlotter betatester from the beginning several years ago. Originally Sailoog's idea was that OPlotter could be used in any device. In fact, the early versions could work and I was using them from a PC in addition to the Rpi. But as we advanced, it became clear that it was very important to concentrate on a single device if we wanted to achieve an efficient result. I was testing it in one of the first Banana pi that at that time was a much more powerful device than the original Rpi but as the device varied little problems arose. Trying to make OPlotter work on several devices was a hell. So Sailoog decided to focus on the Rpi and achieve a consistent result.

That said, it is true that OPlotter could theoretically be installed on any PC, but the result would not be the expected because there are a lot of OPlotter things dedicated to interact with GPIO pins and things like that on an ordinary PC have no correspondence.

It wouldn't even be necessary to build since OPlotter works in Python and therefore the code should work on any computer regardless of the architecture (x86, Arm, Amd64, etc.). But the fact is that it is composed of so many different components and many of them directly related to Rpi specific hardware issues that it would be almost impossible to achieve an identical experience.

For an ordinary PC Navigatrix is still a better option as jim321 told you.
Parts of the current openplotter code are ready to run on any python machine and disable raspberry specific features like GPIO. The problem are the current dependencies but it will not be impossible in a future. This could be a good option: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ra...i-desktop/
I got all running, just test installed signal K

But what i cant find is how to sudo apt get install all the Openplotter features in one go

Yes i like copy paste enter to get things working Smile

Setup:
Oracle Virtualbox
Debian jessie 2017-11-16-rpd-x86-stretch.iso https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ra...i-desktop/
Vmboxdependencies (for resoulution change)
Newest signal K for playing around
I tried playing around on my ships install and ended with a total chrash/format

Thats why i want to have a virtualbox to test things before deploying in real world situations
(2018-01-25, 06:43 PM)Ontrackx Wrote: [ -> ]I got all running, just test installed signal K

Did you get it running on something that is not a raspberry? It sounds like you used a virtual raspberry.

I have started a few changes to fix hardcoded paths, and to make many dependencies (like twitter bot) optional rather than required. This is really just a first step toward making openplotter platform independent.

We should still continue to make the complete distribution for raspberry, but already newer boards much better suited for opencpn exist, and this will continue, so we need a strategy to support these.
(2018-01-30, 05:22 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: [ -> ]
(2018-01-25, 06:43 PM)Ontrackx Wrote: [ -> ]I got all running, just test installed signal K

Did you get it running on something that is not a raspberry?  It sounds like you used a virtual raspberry.

I have started a few changes to fix hardcoded paths, and to make many dependencies (like twitter bot) optional rather than required.  This is really just a first step toward making openplotter platform independent.

We should still continue to make the complete distribution for raspberry, but already newer boards much better suited for opencpn exist, and this will continue, so we need a strategy to support these.
Hi all OPists !

It is good to kow that you are willing to have OP independent of (un-mastered & unknown) Raspberry Pi future.
Could you tell us something about such new SBCs.
As a sailing guy I am very fan of the 4/5W consumption of the RPi 3 ! Are there any improvement in view in this area ?
I have one question why?.. I don't mean this in a condescending way. I use Linux laptop as my Node-red server and run wine version of Opencpn ect off it. The pi when setup runs nice and stable and uses about .3 amps and easy to repair/ replace. My main concern is that it is stable and low power. I test in the winter.