OpenMarine

Full Version: Dedicated Hut for Openplotter
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, everyone.
Due to the number of GPIOs that Raspberry has, one of the things I wanted to achieve with OpenPlotter was a compact multi-function system.
One of the problems was how to connect peripherals to Raspberry GPIOs.  And another problem is that the Raspberry has only digital inputs/outputs and no analog port.
To solve these problems, I have designed a Hut dedicated to Raspberry, which takes advantage of all its connectivity.
The result is a board with 16 analog input channels, 8 digital input channels and 9 digital output channels with relay.  In addition, 3 sensors can be connected to the I2C bus. If more digital input channels are needed, analog channels can also be used for this purpose.
Three of the analog channels have been designed as amperimeters (e. g. battery charging via 220V, solar system or wind system)

The Hut board, Raspberry and a USB hub are included in a standard rail system box.
The board has two power supplies of 3A each, one to provide power to the Raspberry and another to supply the USBHub.

A prototype was completed in May 2017. After hard tests I installed it on my yacht which has worked without any problems so far.

The connection of the different channels I have done in the following way.
An amperimeter channel for 220v load (also indicates the discharge)
With the analog input channels I measure the voltage of the three batteries, the fuel tank level and the fresh water tank level. The next step is to add the level of the black water tank.
Another analog channel is used to detect the presence or absence of 220V voltage, so that I can be alerted via SMS in case of failure. For the following version, I have designed a circuit that detects 220V voltage with an opto-isolated integrated.
In the future, I plan to measure the fuel flow to calculate fuel consumption and the remaining hours of navigation with the remaining fuel. To do this, I will install flow meters in the oil pipelines (return and flow).
Digital channels (all opto-isolated) use them for bilge water detection, open door, gas alarm, windlass pulse meter (calculation of the meters of chain going in and out)

Finally, the digital outputs, I use them to control switches.
The relays are high quality and support 30A. They're connected to the switchboard on the sailboat. With an android-app called PiRelay, I can control with my Handy the different switches (navigation lights, refrigerator, radio, battery charger, AIS),
As I don't know how to upload photos in this forum, I put you this link of the Spanish navigation forum La Taberna del Puerto

http://foro.latabernadelpuerto.com/showp...count=1999
http://foro.latabernadelpuerto.com/showp...count=2000

As a Sailoog group and its Huts, I am looking at the possibility of being able to produce as Open Hardware for OpenPlotter users.
Welcome openmarine forum gypsylyon!!!

Let's see what people say. If people is interested on this super-hat we can dedicate its own sub-forum.
Nice project and looks like a great complimentary product for OpenPlotter, however not for me as I've gone down the route of transmitting sensor data over WiFi using ESP2866 dev boards.
Good luck with it