OpenMarine
CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: CAN-USB Stick (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter (/showthread.php?tid=1841)

Pages: 1 2

CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - barrymac - 2019-06-14

Hi all,

I bought one of these https://canable.io/ with the intention of using it to integrate old NMEA 0183 gear with newer N2K gear. 

I'm not finding much information out there regarding this particular dongle, so I'm wondering if anyone has any experiences or information they could share.

I am hoping to use SignalK as the multiplexer between the two networks. I use a miniplex 2Wi as a nmea-0183 seatalk 1 multiplexer, which puts everything on Wifi both directions. They do have a 2k version but I don't want or need to spend that much, at least not before I try to do it on the ARM board, and of course help everybody else in the process.

Barry.

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - verkerkbr - 2019-06-19

I have a working setup fo the Canable Canbus adapter.

At first I flashed the candlelight firmware.

Then you have to activate the canbus adapter in the terminal with:
sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 250000
(can be automated at startup)

However you don't see the can0 in Openplotter.
then go to SignalK

install signalK to nmea183 and SignalK to nmea2000

go to server > data providers

switch on Opcan ID OPcan Canbus (canboatjs) interface can0

switch on OPKplex

Go the Plugin Config activate SignalK to NMEA183 and check the items you like to receive in 183 from 2K.

Convert SignalK to NMEA2000

There are more options you can use.

Works very well and you get the nmea2000 data in de Kplex multiplexer and from the multiplexer to OpenCPN.

Work is going on to make the TwoCan plugin for OpenCPN. More or less based on the same Canboat translating of the NMEA2000 signals.

Bram

Can-L Blue wire and Can-H white wire from the NMEA2K cable.

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - verkerkbr - 2019-06-22

I just received my Canable Pro. Tried to flash the Candlelight firmware as before. However no longer shows the lights on the board. This was done on a Linux system.

Next tried the update utility on a Windows 7 systeem and now the Canable board is working. Also with SignalK in the OpenPlotter software to convert NMEA2000 to NMEA183 and to OpenCPN. See instruction.

Bram

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - verkerkbr - 2019-12-20

Hi Sailoog,

the setup for the can-usb canable is now easy to do. I have not been using the initiation string. But it now it seems to work out od the box.

The can-bus adapter is recognised and be can be connected to the SignalK server.

At first it gave the message not connecting. It seems that the interface must be named: can0. Then the indication is: connected.

However, I have no possibility to test it here with a real nmea2K connection. Boat is in a winterstorage with no AIS reception.

Thanks for all you efforts,

Regards,

Bram

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - RichFind - 2020-05-25

Using a Pi 4. and CANable Pro adapter fresh out of the box.
In Serial (v2.1.0) I selected device ttyACM0 gave it the alias of /dev/ttyOP_canable, data type NMEA 2000, and applied.
Everything looks good. Settings shows the device alias and shows it plugged in to the correct physical port on the Pi.
Then in Serial (v2.1.0) /Connections tab I select ttyOP_canable and click on Add to CAN Bus.
Next popup; select the default  baud Rate 115200 and press AUTO.
Restart SignalK Server, everything looks good the Connection & Plugin Status shows the connection in green "Connected to /dev/ttyOP_canable".
No connection activity shows up in the Stats window for the canable connection.

What am I doing wrong? Baud rate?

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - verkerkbr - 2020-05-25

(2020-05-25, 06:51 PM)RichFind Wrote: Using a Pi 4. and CANable Pro adapter fresh out of the box.
In Serial (v2.1.0) I selected device ttyACM0 gave it the alias of /dev/ttyOP_canable, data type NMEA 2000, and applied.
Everything looks good. Settings shows the device alias and shows it plugged in to the correct physical port on the Pi.
Then in Serial (v2.1.0) /Connections tab I select ttyOP_canable and click on Add to CAN Bus.
Next popup; select the default  baud Rate 115200 and press AUTO.
Restart SignalK Server, everything looks good the Connection & Plugin Status shows the connection in green "Connected to /dev/ttyOP_canable".
No connection activity shows up in the Stats window for the canable connection.

What am I doing wrong? Baud rate?

I'am using the Candlelight firmware. Then you have to activate the Canable board.

With this activating you get can0. Check in SignalK that the port is can0.

The baudrate rate is 250000.

The activating string for the Canable firmware is:

You can automate this at startup in the file:

etc/rc.local

Rights must changed for this file for execute. Is explained earlier.

Bram

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - RichFind - 2020-05-27

Thank You,
The firmware upgrade was very easy.
Following your instructions I now have NEMA 2000 data coming in.

However (there is always a however)

I can't figure out to automate at startup. Your provided the the following suggestion:

etc/rc.local

I can't find
etc/rc.local

I found
rc0.d through rc6.d and rcS.d

and I can not find the earlier explanation you refer to

I am Running Buster on a Pi 4

I am really new to the Raspberry Pi, so please excuse my ignorance.

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - verkerkbr - 2020-05-27

(2020-05-27, 08:26 PM)RichFind Wrote: Thank You,
The firmware upgrade was very easy.
Following your instructions I now have NEMA 2000 data coming in.

However (there is always a however)

I can't figure out to automate at startup. Your provided the the following suggestion:

etc/rc.local

I can't find
etc/rc.local

I found
rc0.d through rc6.d and rcS.d

and I can not find the earlier explanation you refer to

I am Running Buster on a Pi 4

I am really new to the Raspberry Pi, so please excuse my ignorance.

I'am also running Buster.

the simple way is to go to termial. Do cd .. several times. Then you go one step upwards.
Then cd etc. And you are in the etc folder.

Then sudo nano rc.local

Here you can add the required sentences. Put at first on every item the #.

Now add the following text in this file:

#!/bin/bash
exit 0

Save this with ctrl-o and then leave the nano editor with control-x.

Now the file runs at startup

But is not executable yet.

do the following

sudo chmod a+x /etc/rc.local

Now the string is executed at the startup of your system.

Regards,

Bram

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - gedass - 2020-06-17

Hi,

I try to use TouCAN Marine NMEA200<=>USB converter from RUSOKU as standard SocketCAN device on Raspberry Pi 4.
In SignalK software I see that converter "Status" is "Connected" but hardware still is not open.Should I use "sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 250000"
before running SignalK server ?
btw SignalK to NMEA0183 "Status" is "Started". Should status of NMEA2000 converter be "Started" too ?

Ged

RE: CANable Pro Isolated USB to CAN Adapter - verkerkbr - 2020-06-17

(2020-06-17, 02:20 PM)gedass Wrote: Hi,

I try to use TouCAN Marine NMEA200<=>USB converter from RUSOKU as standard SocketCAN device on Raspberry Pi 4.
In SignalK software I see that converter "Status" is "Connected" but hardware still is not open.Should I use "sudo ip link set can0 up type can bitrate 250000"
before running SignalK server ?
btw SignalK to NMEA0183 "Status" is "Started". Should status of NMEA2000 converter be "Started" too ?

Ged

It depend on the firmware version. With the candlelight version you need to do the inalisiation string first to get the can0.

This can be done automatic at startup. See my instruction in rc.local

In SignalK the settings must be can0.

Why do you like to use the Toucan convertor ? NMEA2K comes in as SignalK and SiggnalK can be used directly in OpenCPN with the latest version.

Settings: SignalK localhost and port 3000.

Also look at the OpenPlotter application  SignalK filter. This show what is coming en out in SignalK.

Regards,

Bram