OpenMarine
Raspberry Pi 4 released! - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi 4 released! (/showthread.php?tid=1855)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - jim321 - 2019-07-30

have you tried to update the buster pi3 combo with the new repo.?

https://github.com/openplotter/openplotter

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - verkerkbr - 2019-08-05

Did another trial by upgrading the OpenPlotter version first with the latest Raspian Stretch updates. Then I changed the server adresses from Stretch to Buster.

Quit a long update. But the result is that OpenPlotter works very well with this Buster version on a RPI3B+. SDR AIS is also still working.

OpenCPN with Oesenc charts with the Oesenc dongle ( former fingerprint does of course no longer work).

Node Red is working.

Only SignalK does not work from the browser page. However if I look at the Kplex SignalK diagnostics I see the Nmea sentences and also SignalK passing by. SignalK has 30330 as port adress ?

In OpenCPN the port adress 30330 works. If I use a browser on an another system with ip-adress:30330 then the nmea sentences are working. But not the SignalK page.

There is something changed in the adresses of SignalK. What has been changend ?

But everything seems to work and the Buster OS works very well. What is the wait to bring out the OP 2.00 with Buster ?

Regards,

Bram

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - Sailoog - 2019-08-05

Too may changes had to be done to upgrade to Raspbian buster and Raspberry 4. Besides this, we had to migrate from python 2 to python 3 because python 2 dies next year, so we decided to rewrite openplotter from scratch, take the chance and add the most requested feature ever form the beginning... portability to other platforms running debian based systems!

We have divided openplotter features into standalone apps. These apps are python3 modules that can be installed using "sudo apt install openplotter-xxxx". Some apps are exclusive for Raspberry (network, 1W, I2C...) but the rest of them can be installed on any computer running debian flavors like ubuntu. We will try to add emulators for the exclusive raspberry apps in the future. Since all apps can be installed and uninstalled we will not wait to have all apps done and we will publish OpenPlotter 2 when all basic and required apps are done, then we will focus on the rest of them and in some new ones and they could be installed later from the repos. Screenshots soon.

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - Sailorxyz - 2019-08-05

But the question is, when are you going to start making your work available. I'm not asking for a date set in stone (or even sand...) just some idea. I've got two Raspberry Pi 4's and I'm itching to get started....

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - pinguino - 2019-08-10

(2019-08-05, 08:46 PM)Sailorxyz Wrote: But the question is, when are you going to start making your work available. I'm not asking for a date set in stone (or even sand...) just some idea. I've got two Raspberry Pi 4's and I'm itching to get started....

If you want to relieve the itching you can try this compilation that I have created by applying all the Sailoog scripts to a Raspbian buster. It is not official and not everything works properly but it can serve provisionally to test the Rpi4. At least as long as Sailoog makes the official version available.

It has bugs and therefore will not give support since it is a pre-alpha version just to experiment.

https://mega.nz/#!ZQJkSSwD!c_auqrclFqTN75dFJkKRRYRkp6sx9HyAo6idjaIeT5w

Use it at your own discretion and risk. Good luck.

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - verkerkbr - 2019-08-11

(2019-08-10, 07:53 PM)pinguino Wrote:
(2019-08-05, 08:46 PM)Sailorxyz Wrote: But the question is, when are you going to start making your work available. I'm not asking for a date set in stone (or even sand...) just some idea. I've got two Raspberry Pi 4's and I'm itching to get started....

If you want to relieve the itching you can try this compilation that I have created by applying all the Sailoog scripts to a Raspbian buster. It is not official and not everything works properly but it can serve provisionally to test the Rpi4. At least as long as Sailoog makes the official version available.

It has bugs and therefore will not give support since it is a pre-alpha version just to experiment.

https://mega.nz/#!ZQJkSSwD!c_auqrclFqTN75dFJkKRRYRkp6sx9HyAo6idjaIeT5w

Use it at your own discretion and risk. Good luck.

Hi Pinguino,

thanks for the compiled alpha version to try it on my Pi4 and PI3. It looks that a lot items have to be completed.

However OpenCPN works very well.

Runs also very well on my RPI3B+

Although the original Buster version works also very well with OpenCPN. Only the OP plotter extra's are missing.

Hope a complete OP version will be released (very ?) soon.

Regards,

Bram

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - pinguino - 2019-08-11

It is true that there are still unfinished parts. In addition there are others like the AP that although they work, give some problem, as the fact of not being able to modify the parameters of the AP to our will.

Even so, I have to say that this previous version of OP 2.x.x works better for me than the others ones.

Among the things that have improved are:

-The use of VNC that previously disconnected and reconnected me frequently. Now it is totally stable.
-How UDP works to send Depth, GPS and AIS data to Navionics. In the previous versions it worked very few times while now it does it one hundred percent.
-The operation of the IMU. In OP 1.2.0 it was hardly to be trusted, no more than a toy. In OP 2.x.x it works perfectly and is totally reliable.

Naturally there are many other things that I can not check as the SDR for the AIS or the HAT Moitessier because I do not have the hardware, but for now the results are promising and the set of OP 2.x.x with Rpi4 is going to take this project to a much higher level.

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - verkerkbr - 2019-08-11

(2019-08-11, 10:18 AM)pinguino Wrote: It is true that there are still unfinished parts. In addition there are others like the AP that although they work, give some problem, as the fact of not being able to modify the parameters of the AP to our will.

Even so, I have to say that this previous version of OP 2.x.x works better for me than the others ones.

Among the things that have improved are:

-The use of VNC that previously disconnected and reconnected me frequently. Now it is totally stable.
-How UDP works to send Probe, GPS and AIS data to Navionics. In the previous versions it worked very few times while now it does it one hundred percent.
-The operation of the IMU. In OP 1.2.0 it was hardly to be trusted, no more than a toy. In OP 2.x.x it works perfectly and is totally reliable.

Naturally there are many other things that I can not check as the SDR for the AIS or the HAT Moitessier because I do not have the hardware, but for now the results are promising and the set of OP 2.x.x with Rpi4 is going to take this project to a much higher level.

A lot of things worked, but are now on a different place. Using it on a Pi4 it works very well. Using the same SD on an RPI3b+ it also worked very well.

Now going back to the PI 4 after the use with the same SD software in Pi3. Now the Pi 4 start locks-up at the splash screen. Back to the RPI3 and it works again.

Bram

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - pinguino - 2019-08-11

(2019-08-11, 02:27 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: A lot of things worked, but are now on a different place. Using it on a Pi4 it works very well. Using the same SD on an RPI3b+ it also worked very well.

Now going back to the PI 4 after the use with the same SD software in Pi3. Now the Pi 4 start locks-up at the splash screen. Back to the RPI3 and it works again.

Bram

I haven't tried swapping the same SD between a Rpi3 and a Rpi4 but I think maybe inserting it into a Rpi3 could auto-configure it to use the old GPU IV controller.

Who knows. It could be something like that.

If the behavior repeats itself you will have to be aware.

RE: Raspberry Pi 4 released! - CapnKernel - 2019-08-12

I have an RPi Model 4B (4G) that I'm hoping to use with OpenPlotter. I have no experience with RPi, but I have experience with Linux back to 1993, and lots of embedded experience.

What's the state of things with the 4B? What's to do before it's just another host for OpenPlotter?