OpenMarine
Openplotter open issues with latest 2.0 beta - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Openplotter open issues with latest 2.0 beta (/showthread.php?tid=2068)

Openplotter open issues with latest 2.0 beta - mgrouch - 2019-11-06

I’m setting up openplotter  2 (latest beta) on pi 4 for my boat  and I run into number of issues.  Here is the list. 

1. Touch screen support in opencpn is limited to emulating mouse move and left click. No multitouch gestures, no right click. Multitouch and emulation of right click via long touch work fine in Chromium browser in same setup. 

2. There is no onscreen keyboard for touch screen. So having just touchscreen in cockpit is not enough to access full functionality. 

3. Because of limitations of touch screen support I was planning to add a second monitor and wireless air mouse with keyboard. (H18+). This didn’t work either. It completely messed up calibration of touch screen as with dual monitors it thinks whole desktop area is a touch area even if second display is non-touch. So basically dual monitors support breaks touchscreen functions. 

4. I noticed both screens go off after period of user’s inactivity. I couldn’t figure out how to turn that off. 

5. After screens go blank I can activate them back by tapping on touchscreen but not by air mouse. Air mouse in fact doesn’t reconnect at all after screens wake up I have to power cycle everything. 

6. I installed raspbian (instread of SD card) on SSD usb stick which I plugged via USB 3.0 hub. This makes pi boot much faster however ‘reboot’ command from command prompt just shuts it down without rebooting. I have to powercycle everything. 

7. After some shutdowns I’ve seen opencpn losing my configuration, specifically dashboards get hidden and toolbar reverted to defaults. 

8. When my gps stick loses signal opencpn moves my boat onto equator instead of at least keeping it in the last location. 

9. GPS dashboard shows up to 1kt of speed even when GPS mouse is completely standing still. 

10. GPS mouse doesn’t remember last position on power-cycle and takes very long time to acquire fix as result opencpn places me on the equator instead of the last position. 

11. Moving finger on touchscreen in opencpn causes screen to stop reacting to touch for long periods of time (minutes) from time to time. Its not really freezing opencpn as it responds fine when I control it with regular mouse at same time. 

12. There is no way to see details of a navigation markers on a touch screen in opencpn chart as there is no right click. 

13. When I try to add a waypoint on a touchscreen it keeps creating a new waypoint on each touch with no way of cancelling it. 
I’ve tried same touchscreen with opencpn on windows 10 and everything related to multitouch and right click emulation worked fine. 

Is there opencpn for Windows?

Thanks,
—MG

RE: Openplotter open issues with latest 2.0 beta - Opie91 - 2019-11-06

There is an OpenCPN for windows.  https://opencpn.org/

RE: Openplotter open issues with latest 2.0 beta - Sailoog - 2019-11-07

(2019-11-06, 02:04 AM)mgrouch Wrote: I’m setting up openplotter  2 (latest beta) on pi 4 for my boat  and I run into number of issues.  Here is the list. 

1. Touch screen support in opencpn is limited to emulating mouse move and left click. No multitouch gestures, no right click. Multitouch and emulation of right click via long touch work fine in Chromium browser in same setup. 

2. There is no onscreen keyboard for touch screen. So having just touchscreen in cockpit is not enough to access full functionality. 

3. Because of limitations of touch screen support I was planning to add a second monitor and wireless air mouse with keyboard. (H18+). This didn’t work either. It completely messed up calibration of touch screen as with dual monitors it thinks whole desktop area is a touch area even if second display is non-touch. So basically dual monitors support breaks touchscreen functions. 

4. I noticed both screens go off after period of user’s inactivity. I couldn’t figure out how to turn that off. 

5. After screens go blank I can activate them back by tapping on touchscreen but not by air mouse. Air mouse in fact doesn’t reconnect at all after screens wake up I have to power cycle everything. 

6. I installed raspbian (instread of SD card) on SSD usb stick which I plugged via USB 3.0 hub. This makes pi boot much faster however ‘reboot’ command from command prompt just shuts it down without rebooting. I have to powercycle everything. 

7. After some shutdowns I’ve seen opencpn losing my configuration, specifically dashboards get hidden and toolbar reverted to defaults. 

8. When my gps stick loses signal opencpn moves my boat onto equator instead of at least keeping it in the last location. 

9. GPS dashboard shows up to 1kt of speed even when GPS mouse is completely standing still. 

10. GPS mouse doesn’t remember last position on power-cycle and takes very long time to acquire fix as result opencpn places me on the equator instead of the last position. 

11. Moving finger on touchscreen in opencpn causes screen to stop reacting to touch for long periods of time (minutes) from time to time. Its not really freezing opencpn as it responds fine when I control it with regular mouse at same time. 

12. There is no way to see details of a navigation markers on a touch screen in opencpn chart as there is no right click. 

13. When I try to add a waypoint on a touchscreen it keeps creating a new waypoint on each touch with no way of cancelling it. 
I’ve tried same touchscreen with opencpn on windows 10 and everything related to multitouch and right click emulation worked fine. 

Is there opencpn for Windows?

Thanks,
—MG

1. Have you enabled touchscreen interface in options-user interface? is your touchscreen and drivers supported by raspberry? if you are sure you do not have problems with other programs, please report these issues to opencpn team.
2. There is a virtual keyboard installed in the latest pre-release (menu-accessories-keyboard): http://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=1992&pid=10280#pid10280
3. Be sure you use only hardware and drivers supported by raspberry.
4. disable screesaver in openplotter settings-raspberry settings- disable screensaver
5. See 4
6. I have never tested this, please search for info in raspberry official channels
7. Do you shutdown by software or you just cut the power?
8. this is normal after losing your configuration, if it is not the case, please report to opencpn
9. this is normal. GPS positioning is not always accurate and speed is calculated from positions variation.
10. this seems a problem of your GPS
11. see 1
12. see 1
13. see 1

I guess you mean openplotter for windows, not opencpn for windows. No, there will never be openplotter for windows because windows is not open.