OpenMarine
update motor controller - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: Pypilot (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: update motor controller (/showthread.php?tid=2229)

update motor controller - ddelorme - 2020-01-11

I have a motor controller i bought from you a couple of years ago.
I would like to update it ?
should I?
What is the best way from the current code on your git?

Also I am trying to connect a 10K potentiometer to act as a rudder sensor.

On the circuit board I see 3 pads 1 square I assume is +5V and 2 that are boxed in the silkscreen. How do i connect this to a potentiometer? please don't say "with wires;/"

Thanks

RE: update motor controller - seandepagnier - 2020-01-12

(2020-01-11, 05:19 PM)ddelorme Wrote: I have a motor controller i bought from you a couple of years ago.
I would like to update it ?
should I?
What is the best way from the current code on your git?

You might not need to update the controller if everything is working. Do you have the old style (more than a year ago) which has an ESC, or the newer one with dedicated mofsets?

You can upload via usb if the controller is not powered. You could also upload via the isolated controller like and hit the reset button on the arduino right when uploading, or apply power right when uploading. I typically type "make upload" from the pypilot/arduino/motor directory, you might need to change the avrdude command to a different port.

Quote:Also I am trying to connect a 10K potentiometer to act as a rudder sensor.

On the circuit board I see 3 pads 1 square I assume is +5V and 2 that are boxed in the silkscreen. How do i connect this to a potentiometer? please don't say "with wires;/"

Thanks

The potentiometer can connect to these 3 pins, the center one is the center tap of the potentiometer. calibrating the rudder feedback will sort out the polarity.

RE: update motor controller - ddelorme - 2020-01-12

I have the older model with with the esc.. i did a test and in both op2 /rpi 4 and op 1.2/ last years rpi3 the rudder sensor is not recognized.. I will try to update the motor controller...

RE: update motor controller - ddelorme - 2020-01-12

I did an update on the Motor controller pin a4 reads about 4.8v to 3.6 with a 10k pot. if i read from the pot i get 0v to 4.8v. I am testing it with op1.2.0 alpha. on a rpi3 this is what was mounted on my boat last year. The calibration is showing rudder sense as false.

RE: update motor controller - seandepagnier - 2020-01-13

You are going to need to get the rudder on A4 to be in range from 0-1.1 volts. There is normally a voltage divider of 30k and 100k resistors to convert from the 0-5v range. Otherwise you should just put a 30-40k resistor in series with your 10k potentiometer.

RE: update motor controller - ddelorme - 2020-01-13

I am at wits end now... I rechecked the values between a4 and grd your right i get 0 to 1.1. The resistance between grd and the swipe is about 127k about right. I noticed in pypilot calibration I don't get current / voltage or rudder sense. The actuator works when I use app and responds properly.. I find it odd that the nano is not getting any analogue readings. I might have to just replace the whole controller....... 2hrs later....... I checked the data lines the rpi receive line was broken. once i fix this it worked.. What a jeinous started at the end before i checked the obvious.... now i can test it on op2....

Thanks Sean ...
I plan to mount the pot into the top end of my Pintle with a small shaft. The body of the pot will mounted to the transom. Small out of the way and cheap.

RE: update motor controller - seandepagnier - 2020-01-13

the only problem with potentiometers is most are rated only 10,000 cycles. Every time the rudder changes direction is a new cycle, which is not very long at sea. You can get much more expensive ones rated up to 10 million cycles which would be good for years? hall sensors are actually cheaper and easier to waterproof and don't wear out.

RE: update motor controller - ddelorme - 2020-01-14

(2020-01-13, 04:54 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: the only problem with potentiometers is most are rated only 10,000 cycles.   Every time the rudder changes direction is a new cycle, which is not very long at sea.   You can get much more expensive ones rated up to 10 million cycles which would be good for years?   hall sensors are actually cheaper and easier to waterproof and don't wear out.

ya a spent a $20 Canadian. i will check out a hall sensor i was going to pot the the unit after it is setup. could you recommand 1 it needs to be small ie under 17mm.

RE: update motor controller - seandepagnier - 2020-01-14

the mlx90316 is working well. I have a 3d printed prototype.

RE: update motor controller - ddelorme - 2020-01-15

hmmmm looks good i could just mount a magnet on the top of the pintel and mount the sensor in a small case.. could you send me your prototype file. I just read though the specs pdf quickly. I have an ender 3 and use freecad. my space is limited as i have a transom mounted rudder and 9.9 honda outboard, ladder and backstay. i will have to modify the file as it will have to fit on the transom under the tiller.