OpenMarine
Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 (/showthread.php?tid=2428)

Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 - kinefou - 2020-03-15

Hello,

We are now at version 2.1.0 of I2c for Openplotter and since version 2.06, the application does not open.
With the V:1.0.5, all worked fine!
When launching the command line program, I get the following error:
Error: Could not open file `/ dev / i2c-0 'or` / dev / i2c / 0': No such file or directory
I edited the file /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openplotterI2c/startup.py and changed the value '0' to '1' at line 53.
Unfortunately, that does not solve the problem because other errors are still there!
So let's hope that a next update will correct the situation !!
cordialy

kinefou

RE: Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 - DanielGoedhuis - 2020-03-16

I encounter a similar problem. I just updated the Settings app to 2.2.3 (all other apps are up-to-date), and while the I2C sensors worked for a little while, they stopped feeding Signal-K after a couple of minutes. Restart Signal-K is no solution. Restarting the RPi-4 shows the Starting screen of OP, being stopped at "Checking I2C sensors...". See screenshot.

I have a BME and a MPU on I2C, worked very good until the update.

BTW: I'm impressed by the excellent work done sofar!

RE: Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 - Sailoog - 2020-03-16

That means you have some old settings not compatible.
Edit /home/pi/.openplotter/openplotter.conf and remove any setting under [I2C] tag.

RE: Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 - kinefou - 2020-03-16

Thank you very much for this tip.
The I2c application opens now correctly, but I still cannot configure my ms5611 there!
An idea?

Kinefou

RE: Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 - DanielGoedhuis - 2020-03-16

Thanks for the quick reply.

It didn't quite solve the problem yet, though. Removing the I2C-app solved the problem of the stuck start-up screen (which is annoying, because it blocks all other screens; improvement suggestion to move this screen to a corner and make it smaller)
But then I don't have the sensors anymore. Reinstallation of the I2C-app re-created the problem.
I'm trying now different approaches, and update this post later

Update:
I installed Moitessier App, because that has I2C functionality as well, if I recall correctly, in an effort to pinpoint the problem. Now the start-up blocks on the checking of Moitessier HAT (which I don't have).

Update 2:
Uninstalled Moitessier, I2C and Pypilot. Deleted in .openplotter/openplotter.conf everything in the sections [I2C], [Pypilot] and [Moitessier], and deleted the connections in Signal K
Rebooted and start-up works, but still without I2C functionality (logically, because the apps are uninstalled).
Checked with i2cdetect -y 1, which only very slowly gave answer: address by address, instead of all addresses at once, and no address found at all!
I shut down the Pi completely (instead of rebooting it all the time), removed and replaced the sensors, and that did the trick. i2cdetect gave correct addresses.
Re-installed I2C and Pypilot apps, and it works again, including connections to Signal K.

Learnings: perhaps some bad wiring on my I2C bus? Or a temporary power problem on the bus?

RE: Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 - Sailoog - 2020-03-17

(2020-03-16, 09:15 PM)kinefou Wrote: Thank you very much for this tip.
The I2c application opens now correctly, but I still cannot configure my ms5611 there!
An idea?

Kinefou

I2C app supports MS5607-02BA03 but we have never tested ms5611.

RE: Pb with I2c since V1.0.6 - Sailoog - 2020-03-17

(2020-03-16, 10:10 PM)DanielGoedhuis Wrote: Thanks for the quick reply.

It didn't quite solve the problem yet, though. Removing the I2C-app solved the problem of the stuck start-up screen (which is annoying, because it blocks all other screens; improvement suggestion to move this screen to a corner and make it smaller)
But then I don't have the sensors anymore. Reinstallation of the I2C-app re-created the problem.
I'm trying now different approaches, and update this post later

Update:
I installed Moitessier App, because that has I2C functionality as well, if I recall correctly, in an effort to pinpoint the problem. Now the start-up blocks on the checking of Moitessier HAT (which I don't have).

Update 2:
Uninstalled Moitessier, I2C and Pypilot. Deleted in .openplotter/openplotter.conf everything in the sections [I2C], [Pypilot] and [Moitessier], and deleted the connections in Signal K
Rebooted and start-up works, but still without I2C functionality (logically, because the apps are uninstalled).
Checked with i2cdetect -y 1, which only very slowly gave answer: address by address, instead of all addresses at once, and no address found at all!
I shut down the Pi completely (instead of rebooting it all the time), removed and replaced the sensors, and that did the trick. i2cdetect gave correct addresses.
Re-installed I2C and Pypilot apps, and it works again, including connections to Signal K.

Learnings: perhaps some bad wiring on my I2C bus? Or a temporary power problem on the bus?

Who knows, bad wiring causes similar effects. Sometimes you also get paranormal effects when 2 programs try to read the same device.

thanks for reporting