OpenMarine
[SOLVED] Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [SOLVED] Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter (/showthread.php?tid=2465)

Pages: 1 2

[SOLVED] Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - mgrouch - 2020-03-31

There are seems places in OpenPlotter programs where colors are hard coded.
There is yellow for row selection and there is while fond color in OpenPlotter module install.

When I switched my desktop theme to dark colors (White fond on dark menus)
everything is fine in Raspberry Pi UI (OpenBox, etc)

but in those two places in OpenPlotter set of programs I can't see anything.
It becomes white on yellow or white on white.

The colors everywhere should come from the UI theme.
Unless application manages all colors by itself.

Thanks,
--MG

RE: Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - Sailoog - 2020-03-31

I am not sure wxpython can do that. Do you have any screenshot?

RE: Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - mgrouch - 2020-03-31

(2020-03-31, 12:57 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am not sure wxpython can do that. Do you have any screenshot?

Here are examples
Thanks

(2020-03-31, 07:25 PM)mgrouch Wrote:
(2020-03-31, 12:57 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I am not sure wxpython can do that. Do you have any screenshot?

Here are examples
Thanks

I think everywhere where you change background color to some hardcoded value in the code
you also have to change font color for that area. Otherwise you can't assume
the font is going to be readable.
Thanks,
--MG

RE: Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - Sailoog - 2020-04-01

I think the problem is not with rows background color but text color. In your screenshots this text is white, how do you set this dark mode?

This make me realize that we would need a "Dark mode" button in main menu...

RE: Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - mgrouch - 2020-04-01

I run lxappearance and changed the theme to Breeze-Dark.
You can install that theme using Add / Remove Software searching for a word 'Breeze'.

Thanks,
--MG

RE: Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - Sailoog - 2020-04-02

We can not change the background color of rows because yellow means SK, blue means N2K and green means NMEA 0183. Your problem is that using a dark theme the text of the programs is set to white so the solution is hardcoding the color of lists in openplotter to be always black.

RE: Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - mgrouch - 2020-04-02

(2020-04-02, 07:29 PM)Sailoog Wrote: We can not change the background color of rows because yellow means SK, blue means N2K and green means NMEA 0183. Your problem is that using a dark theme the text of the programs is set to white so the solution is hardcoding the color of lists in openplotter to be always black.

Yes, that's why the font color needs to change for the contrast.

Thanks,
--MG

RE: Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - Sailoog - 2020-04-03

I have forced black color to the text of all apps containing rows. Since this is a minor change I will wait for more changes to publish a new version of every app. Thanks.

Marking this thread as solved...

RE: Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - mgrouch - 2020-04-07

(2020-04-03, 11:52 AM)Sailoog Wrote: I have forced black color to the text of all apps containing rows. Since this is a minor change I will wait for more changes to publish a new version of every app. Thanks.

Marking this thread as solved...

Hardcoding of colors is present not just in rows. 
It is more widespread. Here is one more screen shot:

Thanks,
--MG

RE: [SOLVED] Chaging theme to dark colors and I can't see stuff in OpenPlotter - Sailoog - 2020-04-08

This time the problem is with window background. It is not getting the color of your theme. If it can not be fixed the solution could be hardcoding the text to black just as we did with lists.

Just to be clear, text hardcoding is not the problem, it is just the opposite.