OpenMarine
SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 (/showthread.php?tid=2518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - verkerkbr - 2020-04-22

(2020-04-22, 08:12 PM)Przemek Wrote:
(2020-04-22, 06:34 PM)Sailoog Wrote:
(2020-04-22, 06:14 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: At first I tried this on my AMD64 system. Install from the OpenPlotter Settings gave an error about a postinstall.... file missing.

Then I installed the application from Synaptic. No error with the installation. Switched on the Ais application.

It seems to be working. But looking at the "sudo systemctl status openplotter-rtl_ais.service". There the outcome is displayed as "disabled". Switched the autostrart on and rebooted the system. Now the message is "enabled" . However I have not seen any objects passing by. But perhaps there are no ships here at rhe moment.

Then I did the same thing on my RPI4 with the V8 kernel. All seems to work. Message enabled.

But in the end i get the message:

Detected Kernel usbfs nmap () bug. falling back to buffers in userspace.

Bram

what was the missing file in your AMD?

That is the expected behavior for enable/disable status

You need to provide the correct ppm to see AIS blanks and to have some ship around of course Smile

I can not help with errors with beta kernel because we use only stable kernels to develop

Hi, can you tell me how to make connection from SDR VHF app to opencpn. I make those steps as You give in SD VHF app but I have to make connection manually. Do I have to use SignalK server? I have error on system check that there's no connection to opencpn. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ccygZ2ePo247XobN7
Regards Przemek

Hi Prz.

the SDR NMEA183 output goes with UDP to SignalK. If you look in SignalK you see the entry of SDR.

The same is also done with other connection like a GPSmouse etc.. You install this first in serial applications. Give the item a alias. Then to connections and click on add to SignalK. Then the SignalK restarts.

The next step is to get the data from SignalK to OpenCPN. This is done by the internal net werk localhost.

In OpenCPN make connection: network tcp localhost and port 10110. Remember if you do some change in SignalK always restart the SignalK server.

Regards,

Bram

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - verkerkbr - 2020-04-23

(2020-04-22, 06:14 PM)verkerkbr Wrote: At first I tried this on my AMD64 system. Install from the OpenPlotter Settings gave an error about a postinstall.... file missing.

Then I installed the application from Synaptic. No error with the installation. Switched on the Ais application.

It seems to be working. But looking at the "sudo systemctl status openplotter-rtl_ais.service". There the outcome is displayed as "disabled". Switched the autostrart on and rebooted the system. Now the message is "enabled" . However I have not seen any objects passing by. But perhaps there are no ships here at rhe moment.

Then I did the same thing on my RPI4 with the V8 kernel. All seems to work. Message enabled.

Bram

You need to provide the correct ppm to see AIS blanks and to have some ship around of course Smile

I can not help with errors with beta kernel because we use only stable kernels to develop

Hi Sailoog,

AMD64
problem with AMD64 seems to be solved. I cannot reconstruct the error. But still no ships to be seen.

RPI4

The RPI4 problem. Seems to related to the RPI 4 kernels.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244735

Thanks for all your effort to make OpenPlotter the perfect system to be used with SignalK.

Regards,

Bram

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Przemek - 2020-04-23

(2020-04-22, 10:35 PM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2020-04-22, 08:12 PM)Przemek Wrote:

Bram

Hi, can you tell me how to make connection from SDR VHF app to opencpn. I make those steps as You give in SD VHF app but I have to make connection manually. Do I have to use SignalK server? I have error on system check that there's no connection to opencpn. 
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ccygZ2ePo247XobN7
Regards Przemek

Hi Prz.

the SDR NMEA183 output goes with UDP to SignalK. If you look in SignalK you see the entry of SDR.

The same is also done with other connection like a GPSmouse etc.. You install this first in serial applications. Give the item a alias. Then to connections and click on add to SignalK. Then the SignalK restarts.

The next step is to get the data from SignalK to OpenCPN. This is done by the internal net werk localhost.

In OpenCPN make connection: network tcp localhost and port 10110. Remember if you do some change in SignalK always restart the SignalK server.

Regards,

Bram

Hi Bram,
thank You very much for help. Now I'm in central Poland and there's no charts for that region. There's also no big river so I will not see any ships around here. Now I have only Raspberry Pi 3B+ and DVD-T SDR USB tuner connected by USB HUB with power supply and no GPS dongle (I'm still waiting for one). Can You tell me it's everything OK if You look at my screenshots?
Can I check if the connection to opencpn is wright and working? When I go to region where is Sea and connect that hardware on boat everything will be OK when I calibrate device in SDR VHF app?

[Image: CeaDA_TjN_KMbg_zq9S97Zlc7Ijb-iuSPW0IlGXo...20-h631-no]

do I have to change serial number when editing SDR VHF app because is different that on Serial 2.1.0 app?

[Image: G-Z-VM3z3_dNfti-ekDV6twl-0Fc1vanxq1pucN7...81-h630-no]

[Image: IJGZ_k57T92kmR1motkSH3Se_FtnAdP62GjTjPGh...01-h630-no]

Is baud rate OK?

[Image: TwSw2DoA5VaEmW9n4by6i7c4s7kawI1HooiyEizY...10-h630-no]

[Image: 61oIfJmpqE356XFr1EdakFU9V33VyA-U0K8gBhRM...91-h630-no]

[Image: TgID-zpNlV2K4inqbtQRM9-KjOOvJQBmw9Az8dbK...68-h630-no]

Regards Przemek

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - verkerkbr - 2020-04-23

Bram

Just found the missing file with the first install on my AMD64 from the OpenPlotter settings: sdrhtPostInstall file was missing. Error was gone after install via Synaptic.

Everything seems to work. Although no ship to be seen.

sudo systemctl status openplotter-rtl_ais.service
[sudo] wachtwoord voor bram:          
● openplotter-rtl_ais.service - Decode AIS received by rtl-sdr and send as NMEA
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/openplotter-rtl_ais.service; enabled; ven
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2020-04-23 23:02:23 CEST; 17min ago
 Main PID: 5118 (rtl_ais)
    Tasks: 4 (limit: 4593)
   CGroup: /system.slice/openplotter-rtl_ais.service
           └─5118 /usr/bin/rtl_ais -d 0 -p 55327 -P 10110

apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Downsample factor: 64
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Low pass: 25000 Hz
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Output: 48000 Hz
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Log NMEA sentences to console
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: AIS data will be sent to 127.0
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Tuner gain set to automatic.
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Tuner error set to 55327 ppm.
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Tuned to 162000000 Hz.
apr 23 23:02:23 bram-Veriton-L480G rtl_ais[5118]: Sampling at 1600000 S/s.
lines 1-18/18 (END)

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - OnlyTieBowline - 2020-04-23

I have been running the Initial PPM tool for about 2 hours. My values don't seem to stabilize. Going along fine at 250 look a few minutes later and I am -500. Is there something I wrong with my sdr device?

Device is a RTL2832U v3 from https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

Is there a way to supply a gain value?

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - holgerw - 2020-04-24

(2020-04-23, 11:49 PM)OnlyTieBowline Wrote: I have been running the Initial PPM tool for about 2 hours. My values don't seem to stabilize. Going along fine at 250 look a few minutes later and I am -500. Is there something I wrong with my sdr device?

Device is a RTL2832U v3 from https://www.rtl-sdr.com/

Is there a way to supply a gain value?

Hello, you PPM Value is really way off. -p 55327 !!!!

with all of my rtl sticks, i had never values greater  as 60..70.

try to calibrate step by step, aka get an good GSM Channel, type it in, and try to kal again. then type it in the PPD box. 

Holger

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Sailoog - 2020-04-24

verkerkbr, 55327 ppm is not possible. Maybe you have just removed the point from 55.327? try 55.

OnlyTieBowline, I have that device and they do not need almost calibration because its ppm will be always near 0, so -500 is not possible either.

What about your antennas?

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - verkerkbr - 2020-04-24

(2020-04-24, 11:09 AM)Sailoog Wrote: verkerkbr, 55327 ppm is not possible. Maybe you have just removed the point from 55.327? try 55.

OnlyTieBowline, I have that device and they do not need almost calibration because its ppm will be always near 0, so -500 is not possible either.

Hi Sailoog,

that is what software says. No decimal ! Therefore I removed the decimal point,.

Because the PPM also comes with a decimal. Therefore I added this to the PPM setting. But after the warning, I removed the decimal point.

Regards,

Bram

(2020-04-24, 11:41 AM)verkerkbr Wrote:
(2020-04-24, 11:09 AM)Sailoog Wrote: verkerkbr, 55327 ppm is not possible. Maybe you have just removed the point from 55.327? try 55.

Hi Sailoog,

that is what software says. No decimal ! Therefore I removed the decimal point,.

Because the PPM also comes with a decimal. Therefore I added this to the PPM setting. But after the warning, I removed the decimal point.

Regards,

Bram

After changing the PPM to 55 instead of PPM with the decimal. I can report that the Ais RTL dongle is now working showing AIS object on the OpenCPn screen.

Thank for the advice. But it is a little confusing because in in the also the PPM with the decimals were used.

This is on my AMD64 Mint Tricia.

Regards,

Bram

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - verkerkbr - 2020-04-24

Hi Sailoog,

Regards,

Bram

Hi Sailoog,

Regards,

Bram

After changing the PPM to 55 instead of PPM with the decimal. I can report that the Ais RTL dongle is now working showing AIS object on the OpenCPn screen.

Thanks for the advice. But it is a little confusing because in in the former RTL software also the PPM with the decimals were used.

This is on my AMD64 Mint Tricia.

Regards,

Bram

Done the latest Buster updates in the RPI 4 and with setting the right PPM, the Pi 4 also works.

See attached image

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - OnlyTieBowline - 2020-04-25

Sailoog, I was able to get kal to find some cell towers for calibration by using a gain value. PPM ended up being -5. Picking up ais just fine now. Thanks for all you do.