OpenMarine
SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 (/showthread.php?tid=2518)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - waldmattis - 2020-08-21

(2020-08-21, 09:24 AM)W_LAY Wrote: Hi,

Launch OpenPlotter application and go to settings (options).
Then to "connexions", you can add a UDP connection (in your case, to localhost, port 10110, or else such as marinetraffic, etc if you want)

You can maybe re-install gqrx but kalibrate app or one used by SDR VHF should be enough. An easy way to install kalibrate is to write "kalibrate" on "add/remove software", then kal -c 900, and when you get the strongest channel, kal -s "Channel"

Some helps on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQIbGFw2Cp0
or that one (better) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8CGixMl18k&t=470s

Good luck,

WL

Good afternoon W_LAY,
Thank you for Your advice.

I will be on the boat later today.

In the meantime I installed Gqrx on my Thinkpad ((Linux MX19. 2), Debian Buster-based)) and calibrated the USB-Stick with that Maschine.
I will enter the found accumulated PPM in Openplotter.
Gqrx runs on the ThinkPad without Problems and I saw the waterfall! 
Reinstallation in Openplotter on the pi 4 brought same problem as befoe.

I will keep you informed. 

Regards
Karl 

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - richarddaneel - 2020-08-21

Hi Sailoog
Please help a newbie. In your instructions you say how to calibrate the SDR dongle. I did that and all went well. Then you say create a UDP port for the data, how do I do that (baby steps please). Also I am running OP 2.3.0 on a RPI 3 so when I load Qgrx it goes on and off rapidly would this be better on a RPI4? Many thanks
Richard

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Tuomas_S - 2020-09-04

Hello,

I'm trying to run the SDR VHF installer. The dongle is correctly identified and I can get a PPM reading for it, but when I try to find any GSM900 channels the scanner just runs and returns nothing (same happens with all bands). Also the AIS process is dead as a good friday. I can't open the dvb-t tv tuner and GQRX radio has the play button greyed out.

Any pointers on how to proceed?

when running the PPM scanner, it returns:

Found 1 device(s):
0: Realtek, Rtl2832UDVB, SN: 0

Using device 0: Dexatek DK DVB-T Dongle (Logilink VG0002A)
Found FCI 2580 tuner
Supported gain values (1): 0.0
Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
Reporting PPM error measurement every 10 seconds...
Press ^C after a few minutes.
Reading samples in async mode...
Allocating 15 zero-copy buffers
lost at least 88 bytes

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Sailoog - 2020-09-22

Manual for SDR-VHF app has been updated with detailed instructions for calibration and AIS settings:

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/latest/sdr-vhf/sdr-vhf_app.html

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - SkipperEarly - 2020-09-23

a small observation SDR -VHF 2.1.1 beta: when refreshing the ppm is not updated to the set value but remains shown as the last setting. No functional issue.

on another note: I like the SkyAware - fun to use and useful to check the functionality of the SDR.
Is there also a "SeaAware" app for AIS? or is it possible to set the AIS frequencies somewhere in the SkyAware app?
- just wondering, as we all live in openmarine Wink

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Sailoog - 2020-09-25

(2020-09-23, 09:03 AM)SkipperEarly Wrote: a small observation SDR -VHF 2.1.1 beta: when refreshing the ppm is not updated to the set value but remains shown as the last setting. No functional issue.

on another note: I like the SkyAware - fun to use and useful to check the functionality of the SDR.
Is there also a "SeaAware" app for AIS? or is it possible to set the AIS frequencies somewhere in the SkyAware app?
- just wondering, as we all live in openmarine Wink

when you calibrate any device you set a value for it but this value is just a reference, nothing is written in the device or in the settings of the different tools. You may want to set a tool with different ppm value than another tool using the same device. Have I understood your observation?

I guess our SkyAware is OpenCPN Smile

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - SkipperEarly - 2020-09-25

@sailoog : yes

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Loxon - 2020-09-27

Hi,

Just want to say what a fantastic project and community this is!  I hope to be able to contribute to it in time!

I had a couple of questions that might be useful for other members as well.  Apologies if it's been asked before.

I have a cheap DVB-T/DAB/FM dongle from china:  "RTL2832U R820T2".  It comes with a tiny little ~15 cm antenna that I've been testing it with.  After a few false starts I've managed to get it configured and receive some targets, but my range is very poor. 

Any help / advice on the following would be much appreciated!
  1. Whenever I do an "Initial PPM" or "Gain Check" I always see the line "Lost at least xxx bytes".  Is this normal or an indication of a problem?
  2. When I do the channel scan, the vast majority of entries say "No valid PLL combination found... tuning to xxx failed".  I typically get less than 10 channels, and the rest will show that message.  Is this to be expected?
I attach screenshots of both 

Thanks

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Sailoog - 2020-09-29

1 and 2 are the expected behavior.

It is really surprising that you get any target with that 15cm antenna. they should be really close to your position. You need a VHF antenna.

RE: SDR AIS available in OpenPlotter 2 - Loxon - 2020-09-30

(2020-09-29, 02:30 PM)Sailoog Wrote: 1 and 2 are the expected behavior.

It is really surprising that you get any target with that 15cm antenna. they should be really close to your position. You need a VHF antenna.

OK thanks for the reply.  They targets are indeed very close - the next step is to connect it to one of my existing vhf antennas via splitter, or perhaps have a go at making a dedicated one.