OpenMarine
USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN (/showthread.php?tid=2529)

USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - Przemek - 2020-04-26

Hi, I try to make my usb dongle to work. 
[Image: VK-172-Gmouse-USB-GPS-Glonass-GPS-Module-Ublox.jpg]
First I try to add connection in Serial 2.1.0. I give alias and then I make connection to SignalK. I also make connection in Opencpn (network, localhost, 10110 or 2947, TCP). I have only data in NMEA debug window but don't see position on map.
Second I try GPSD but I have the same situation. Also when I choose serial connection in Opencpn. I see only data in NMEA debug window. 
Can somebody help me?

RE: USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - PaddyB - 2020-04-26

Looks like the dongle isn't getting a fix - it doesn't know where it is. Does it have a clear view of the sky, are you inside?

RE: USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - Przemek - 2020-04-26

(2020-04-26, 08:28 AM)PaddyB Wrote: Looks like the dongle isn't getting a fix - it doesn't know where it is. Does it have a clear view of the sky, are you inside?

Hi, thanks for response. I have Raspberry Pi 3B+ inside my home so I will try to take in on my balcony today Smile

RE: USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - holgerw - 2020-04-26

(2020-04-26, 10:45 AM)Przemek Wrote:
(2020-04-26, 08:28 AM)PaddyB Wrote: Looks like the dongle isn't getting a fix - it doesn't know where it is. Does it have a clear view of the sky, are you inside?

Hi, thanks for response. I have Raspberry Pi 3B+ inside my home so I will try to take in on my balcony today Smile

I had the same Problems with one of these USB GPS. My Problem was solved with an longer USB Cable, more away from the Raspi and the DCDC Converter 12-5V. After the Delocating the Quality of Respone was way better. So try an longer Cable or an USB Hub. 

For the Connection i only use the Serial for the Name & SignalK Server tho get the Data.

RE: USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - Przemek - 2020-04-26

(2020-04-26, 11:38 AM)holgerw Wrote:
(2020-04-26, 10:45 AM)Przemek Wrote:

I had the same Problems with one of these USB GPS. My Problem was solved with an longer USB Cable, more away from the Raspi and the DCDC Converter 12-5V. After the Delocating the Quality of Respone was way better. So try an longer Cable or an USB Hub. 

For the Connection i only use the Serial for the Name & SignalK Server tho get the Data.
 Hi, I think You have different version. Can You tell me what connection do You have in OpenCPN?
Regards Przemek

RE: USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - holgerw - 2020-04-26

Hi, I think You have different version. Can You tell me what connection do You have in OpenCPN?
Regards Przemek

Hello, i use openplotter 2.0. 

In OpenCPN there is only the normal input from SignalK on TCP from localhost and port 10110.

In SignalK-Server go to Connections like my screenshot.

Use the Plugin: Package Name: @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183
This connection outputs an NMEA Stream with all the activated NMEA01983 Messages 
(Package Name: @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183
aktive are:
DPT - Depth
GGA - Time, position, and fix related data
GLL - Geographical position, latitude and longitude
HDG - Heading magnetic:.
HDM - Heading Magnetic
HDM - Heading Magnetic, calculated from True
RMC - GPS recommended minimum

you should see the data running in in OpenCPN connections: Show NMEA Monitor.

RE: USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - Przemek - 2020-04-27

(2020-04-26, 08:55 PM)holgerw Wrote: For the Connection i only use the Serial for the Name & SignalK Server tho get the Data.
Regards Przemek

Hello, i use openplotter 2.0. 

In OpenCPN there is only the normal input from SignalK on TCP from localhost and port 10110.

In SignalK-Server go to Connections like my screenshot.

Use the Plugin: Package Name: @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183
This connection outputs an NMEA Stream with all the activated NMEA01983 Messages 
aktive are:
DPT - Depth
HDM - Heading Magnetic

Hello, I install Openplotter on my ubuntu laptop and make connections like You. Now when I go to balcony GPS works. Thank You very much. 
If You have time and if You know how to setup DVB-T SDR USB Dongle to work with Openplotter please answer to my post on forum.
Link

Regards Przemek

RE: USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - PaddyB - 2020-04-27

(2020-04-26, 08:55 PM)holgerw Wrote: Use the Plugin: Package Name: @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183
aktive are:
DPT - Depth
HDM - Heading Magnetic

are you sure you need the @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183? Doesn't signalk echo nmea coming in out again? Mine does anyway , usb gps dongle messages connected to sigk through openplotter serial app go to port 10110 without the @signalk/signalk-to-nmea0183 app running. 

USB GPS don't show position in OpenCPN - holgerw - 2020-04-30

GPS may don‘t Need it, but Barometer or Yaw Data need the Plugin activated to get into OpenCPN.