OpenMarine
AvNav implementation in OP2 - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: AvNav implementation in OP2 (/showthread.php?tid=2566)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

RE: AvNav implementation in OP2 - pjsf1000 - 2022-02-11

Hi, just last night I added AVNav to my Openplotter raspPi set up and it feels excellent for my use. I personally like the idea of having multiple tablets/phones being used as plotters or MFDs. The speed of rendering the OEsenc charts on multiple devices is exceptionally good compared with OpenCPN over vnc. The user interface feels modern and I particularly like the concept of remote controlling one/all 'MFD's' from a single tablet.

I require your help on how to important a Bing Satellite image into AVNav either as a overlay or chart? I find Bing useful as in my experience the water way images are at LowWater. This is handy for those areas that do not warrant charted depths.

I would be grateful to hear your suggested approach for doing this, it feels like something that should be already possible but I haven't been able to find the correct configuration approach..

BTW: I have just used https://www.venturefarther.com/ to obtain a *.kap file from Bing. I'm now struggling to convert and integrate that to AvNav..

Many thanks

RE: AvNav implementation in OP2 - wellenvogel - 2022-02-11

Basically it should be possible to use the mapproxy plugin.
I searched a bit on the net and created a config for mapproxy.
Be careful about the bing key requirements and license restrictions.
Potentially you can play with the url.
Just create a new layer config in the mapproxy plugin and copy the content of the attached file into the editor.
Be sure to have at least version 20220128 of the mapproxy plugin.
There is still a small bug in the mapproxy plugin - so whenever you changed a layer config just disable and enable it again to trigger a reread of the config (correction under way).

Otherwise search the net for sasplanet - they can create offline charts from many sources...

Thats perfect and works whilst online.  To solve the offline problem, for the moment, I've created a route.  
Huge thanks for providing directions as well as all the work to create AvNav.  I have no idea why its taken me time to discover your solution but now its baked into OpenPlotter its an obvious answer. 

I should be going to the boat this weekend and look forward to trying it out whilst connected to AIS,GPS etc etc.

Will not only work if you are online....
Mapproxy will cache whatever you already visited.
Additionally you can go to the "seed" tab, select an area and start the seed.
This will download charts for the selected area (based on the boxes you see).
Afterwards everything is in your local cache (you can even download this and use it as a chart on another instance).
You can try out what is already downloaded by setting the network mode to "offline" at the mapproxy plugin.

Sorry to be pain, I am now at boat and trying it with signalk for first time. The boat data is not showing.

To test signalk is working I can confirm ie wind instrument is showing on Kip. Interesting WilhelmSK app is showing data for short time but then timing out..  
not sure if this log is enough to diagnose problem?

2022-02-11 20:42:40,086-3472-3493-signalk-INFO-disconnected from socket unknown connection 2022-02-11 20:42:40,087-3472-3493-signalk-INFO-STATUS[main] ERROR, socket to unknown connection disconnected 2022-02-11 20:42:42,089-3472-3493-signalk-INFO-STATUS[main] RUNNING, connected to localhost:10110 2022-02-11 20:42:42,090-3472-3493-signalk-INFO-successfully connected to localhost:10110 2022-02-11 20:42:42,091-3472-3493-signalk-INFO-unknown connection established, start reading 2022-02-11 20:42:59,403-3472-4162-HTTPHandler-INFO-added channel connection for 0 2022-02-11 20:43:19,163-3472-4190-HTTPHandler-INFO-added channel connection for 0 2022-02-11 20:43:30,633-3472-4214-HTTPHandler-INFO-added channel connection for 0 2022-02-11 20:43:32,154-3472-3493-signalk-ERROR-exception while reading from socket: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/avnav/server/handler/socketreaderbase.py", line 63, in readSocket data = sock.recv(1024) socket.timeout: timed out During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred: Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/avnav/server/handler/socketreaderbase.py", line 72, in readSocket raise Exception("no data received within timeout of %s seconds"%str(timeout)) Exception: no data received within timeout of 50.0 seconds

All depends on your "data flows".
default on OP is:
Data arrives at signalK and is distributed from there...
You can set up things in a different way - but this is slightly more complex.

For AvNav to really work it needs NMEA0183 data from SignalK.
If your data comes in to SK on NMEA0183 it should automatically pass to AvNav (via port 10110 of SK).
If not (e.g. coming in via N2k):
Just install the signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin in SK and enable at least RMC.
If you also have AIS coming in other than on 0183 - additionally install signalk-vessels-to-ais.

For SK itself - just check the connections (at the dashboard page) and use the data browser to really see what has arrived.
What are your data sources?

RE: AvNav implementation in OP2 - SCarns - 2022-02-12

One option might be to figure out how to get your .KAP files into MBTiles. I have a few that I got online with some Navionics charts. If you have MBTiles, you can use the "Charts" plugin. I use Freeboard with MBTiles. It's been a while since I tried AVNav, but I believe it can access the charts served by the plugin. Then, problem is solved and nothing extra needs to be done.

RE: AvNav implementation in OP2 - wellenvogel - 2022-02-12

Quote:One option might be to figure out how to get your .KAP files into MBTiles. I have a few that I got online with some Navionics charts. If you have MBTiles, you can use the "Charts" plugin. I use Freeboard with MBTiles. It's been a while since I tried AVNav, but I believe it can access the charts served by the plugin. Then, problem is solved and nothing extra needs to be done.

AvNav is able to convert .kap files on the fly - or in it's desktop version (windows, linux).
It is also able to access charts from the SK chart plugin (local ones until now...). But I guess if you have a source for mapproxy things are already really easy - just select your area and let AvNav download everything (gives mbtiles at the end....).

But I guess currently it was more about data connections...

RE: AvNav implementation in OP2 - pjsf1000 - 2022-02-15

(2022-02-11, 10:00 PM)wellenvogel Wrote: All depends on your "data flows".
default on OP is:
Data arrives at signalK and is distributed from there...
You can set up things in a different way - but this is slightly more complex.

For AvNav to really work it needs NMEA0183 data from SignalK.
If your data comes in to SK on NMEA0183 it should automatically pass to AvNav (via port 10110 of SK).
If not (e.g. coming in via N2k):
Just install the signalk-to-nmea0183 plugin in SK and enable at least RMC.
If you also have AIS coming in other than on 0183 - additionally install signalk-vessels-to-ais.

For SK itself - just check the connections (at the dashboard page) and use the data browser to really see what has arrived.
What are your data source

I think I have it working now, not sure why but signalK lost the SignalK to 0183 plugin.. 

BTW:  Your solution for viewing satellite images is excellent and works tremendously.. As you say, it working both on and offline. 
Whats also surprised me is how I can have two tablets - one displaying the Oenc chart and the other displaying the bing satellite image. By enabling the remote control function both tablets are showing the same location offering both views of the world..
Many thanks!

RE: AvNav implementation in OP2 - wellenvogel - 2022-02-15

Glad to hear that it works now.