OpenMarine
pypilot on separate rpi - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: How do I...? (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: pypilot on separate rpi (/showthread.php?tid=3157)

pypilot on separate rpi - Hugo Bokman - 2020-12-26

Hi guys,
My gear: raspi4 4G, raspi 3b.
On the raspi4 I run OC and OP,
on the rpi 3b I run pypilot.
I have an MPU 9255 connected to the pypilot device, which is connected to the OP device with the standard tools (192.168.14.1 on the pypilot).
According to the documentation I need to (a.o) install "moitessier hat-driver" in order to use the MPU 9255.
My question: do I need to install it on OP or the separate Pypilot RPI?
If I install it on the OP, it says: HAT not connected, so probably on the pypilot, but
if I check my options there ("apt-cache search moitessier") I see a moitessier and a openplotter-moitessier, which one to choose?

I hope someone is struggling with this as well and can educate me.

(Sorry for any spelling mistakes, I am Dutch),
Hugo Bokman.
 BTW: I live in La Alfoquia (Andalucia España) and my AIS under CPN shows a Cartagena ground station, which is about 40 km from here, with a home-made antenne ;-)

RE: pypilot on separate rpi - rastam4n - 2020-12-26

You do not need to install Moitessier hat driver to use an MPU9255 to my knowledge, you only need to install the Moitessier hat driver if you are using a Moitessier hat.

By pypilot do you mean TinyPilot? If so the MPU9255 needs to be connected to the rpi running TinyPilot. It should see the MPU9255 automatically.

RE: pypilot on separate rpi - Hugo Bokman - 2021-01-08

Hi rastam4n,
By pypilot I mean a raspi 3B running PYPILOT.
I see the MPU925x on address 68 there, but my remote OP on a raspi 4 does not see it.
Apparently I miss a connection, but the rest seems to work OK. I can connect to pypilot on OC, and can choose between Compass and GPS. Calibration does not seem to work, but that is probably related to the same problem.
Thank you for taking the time to pass suggestions.
Hugo Bokman

RE: pypilot on separate rpi - rastam4n - 2021-01-09

Do you mean you are writing the tiny pilot image to the RPI3b or that you are installing pypilot via openplotter settigs app on the RPI3b?

RE: pypilot on separate rpi - Hugo Bokman - 2021-01-10

(2021-01-09, 01:56 AM)rastam4n Wrote: Do you mean you are writing the tiny pilot image to the RPI3b or that you are installing pypilot via openplotter settigs app on the RPI3b?

Neither of those ...
I have my rpi 3b+ installed with raspberry OS and I clone the pypilot code from github to build a pypilot from the code. It is then possible to replace code in the tree with (only for example the H2bridge-code from Timo). I have a MPU925x installed on the pypilot, and expected that with pigpiod I could share the MPU signals with the other RPI, running OP and OC.
The MPU is detected on address 68 (i2cdetect) on the pypilot, but I cannot find how to connect from Openplotter.
I have loads of time for this because I currently do not even have a boat. So it is strictly lab-work.

RE: pypilot on separate rpi - rastam4n - 2021-01-10

Is there a reason you are doing it this way instead of just running tinypilot (pypilot) on the 3b?

Tinypilot is designed to do exactly what you are describing.

It automatically connects via signalk all you need to do is allow the connection as read/write and it will create the signalk entries for you.