OpenMarine
InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana (/showthread.php?tid=3176)

InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - Boatingbaileys - 2021-01-03

Hi All,

I'm now getting to grips with the various parts of the software but I cant quite get my head around these last three (InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana) and what I need. I've used Grafana for monitoring at work and I understand this is reading data stored in an Influx DB.

Whats Kapacitor - It mentions streaming of data, is that a way to get live data rather than reading it from the DB?

Chronograf - from what I understand this is another Grafana?

I've got my DB setup, data is going from SK > DB > Grafana, so I've just stopped the services for Kap and Chrono - is this wise? My thinking is trying to save some resource.

Are the three all configured from port 8889?

I'm looking to get some realtime data and historical so using a mixture of KIP and Grafana.

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - PaddyB - 2021-01-04

Similar here, never used kapacitor, think you could leave the crono service running if you wanted, doesn't use much idle. Also, KIP can display web pages so you can have a panel in KIP showing a crono plot, probably grafana as well. I use both running on a separate laptop getting the data from the Pi.
Plotting data really is gold dust compared to just numbers, like opening door and turning on a light instead of peering through a keyhole Smile

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - Boatingbaileys - 2021-01-06

Thanks for the response - Any views on moving the DB to an external memory stick? - Thinking that this could extend the life of the SD card?

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - PaddyB - 2021-01-06

(2021-01-06, 12:32 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Thanks for the response - Any views on moving the DB to an external memory stick? - Thinking that this could extend the life of the SD card?

Probably a good idea, also I was recommended this > "Side note on influxdb: if using an SD card I recommend increasing the value for ” wal-fsync-delay”  in the influxdb.conf file.   I have mine set to 60s to reduce wear on the card " 
to reduce the number of writes to the card, seems to make no difference to looking at the data in chronograf though I set mine to 6s. 
config file is here on my install => /etc/influxdb/influxdb.conf

pi@raspberrypi:/etc/influxdb $ cat influxdb.conf | grep wal
  wal-dir = "/var/lib/influxdb/wal"
  wal-fsync-delay = "6s"

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - dione - 2021-01-07

Hello, I send the acquired data (1w, I2c, seatalk) to node red, and from node red to Influxdb to graph them in Grafana. 

What I have not been able to do is a backup of the database, is there any file that can be copied? or can you make a backup? 

The representation of data using Grafana is really useful and visual.
Saludos

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - PaddyB - 2021-01-07

There's a node-red influxdb backup node, I just installed and used it, seems to work OK
Also, the signalk-influxdb app might be a more efficient way to write the data instead of going through node-red

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - Boatingbaileys - 2021-01-08

Not sure on Dione's question, but I cant move the influx DB. I'm trying to put in on a memory stick. Followed a couple of guides on the net to change the default locations in the config file, I believe I've done a full copy of the three folders and changed the permissions but the service will crash on each start. Once I change it back in the config file it's fine.

My Linux is a bit rusty but I believe the USB is /media

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - dione - 2021-01-08

My question is how to make a backup of the Influxdb database.

Saludos

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - SkipperEarly - 2021-02-03

by default your database is at location /var/lib/influxdb/data
so trust you just have to copy folder to soemwhere to have a backup.

Mind the permissions though!

RE: InfluxDB/Kapacitor/Chronograf + Grafana - Boatingbaileys - 2021-02-04

Thanks SkipperEarly - tried a couple of times now, changed permissions per folder and even formatted the usb stick from the pi. Each time influx runs for 10-20 seconds and then quits. I also can’t find the logs to troubleshoot.

Think I’m going to go with plan B and by a second sd card.