OpenMarine
My Testing Setup - Help! - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: My Testing Setup - Help! (/showthread.php?tid=3246)

My Testing Setup - Help! - ALULAsails - 2021-01-30

Hello OpenMarine community, 

Let me begin by thanking all of those who have contributed to this project. OpenPLotter, SignalK, etc. I am blown away. Absolutely brilliant. 

I am a passionate Canadian Sailor currently stranded away from his Kelly Peterson 46 sailboat which is currently in New Zealand. I am not a software developer, but I have been having a lot of fun creating what will become the backbone of my system when we get to go cruising again. If anyone wants the schematic I have created, I'll gladly send it to you. Basically a NMEA 2000 system with an outside mounted B&G Chartplotter and a XB-8000 Vesper AIS which will convert the NMEA string to ingest in the Raspberry Pi. I will then mount a 13" portable screen at the chart table and it will not only be able to display all of the "marine" NMEA data but also temperature, pressure, rel humidity and some additional temp sensors. The idea is to have all data both at helm outside and inside at Chartplotter. Right now I only have some old school electronics outside with no repeater or anything.

I took a video of my testing setup installed on top of my fridge. I have connected a BMV-712 to the Raspberry Pi, 3 temp sensors, the BME 280 and using SignalK and the Kip plugin for visualization on the 13" portable screen. Lots of fun! 

HERE IS THE VIDEO

I have also run into a few minor problems I was hoping perhaps someone can help with:
  • My Raspberry Pi keeps on blanking the screen even after I have disabled the ScreenSaver. I will follow some threads I have found online so hopefully can solve this

• My initial testing saw me with a BMP180 temp and pressure sensor. I used Python code to retrieve the data once every 60 sec and I was putting that into an InfluxDB. It worked perfectly and I never dropped the "connection". SignalK does not support the BMP180 sensor so I installed the BME280 sensor instead. SignalK does read it and it all works well for a few hours. I use the SignalK->InfluxDB plugin. But overnight, with no activity on the Pi, it drops the connection. I can see it on the Grafana dashboard the next day. Any idea why this would happen? Only way to fix is to reboot the Pi.

• Overnight I also dropped the BMV-12 connection. Only way to fix is to reboot the Pi.

• The Kip Dashboard plugin is great but I am having a few issues with it. I can't get the historical data widget working. That's sort of OK as I would prefer instead to embed a Grafana dashboard into a widget. On my video that is the broken widget you see bottom right. I don't understand the Cross Domain Security Rules and how to fix that on the Raspberry Pi. Does anyone know how?
I think that summarizes the few little roadblocks I have left to solve. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Emmanuel
sv ALULA
alulasails.com

RE: My Testing Setup - Help! - rastam4n - 2021-01-31

(2021-01-30, 10:34 PM)ALULAsails Wrote: Hello OpenMarine community, 

Let me begin by thanking all of those who have contributed to this project. OpenPLotter, SignalK, etc. I am blown away. Absolutely brilliant. 

I am a passionate Canadian Sailor currently stranded away from his Kelly Peterson 46 sailboat which is currently in New Zealand. I am not a software developer, but I have been having a lot of fun creating what will become the backbone of my system when we get to go cruising again. If anyone wants the schematic I have created, I'll gladly send it to you. Basically a NMEA 2000 system with an outside mounted B&G Chartplotter and a XB-8000 Vesper AIS which will convert the NMEA string to ingest in the Raspberry Pi. I will then mount a 13" portable screen at the chart table and it will not only be able to display all of the "marine" NMEA data but also temperature, pressure, rel humidity and some additional temp sensors. The idea is to have all data both at helm outside and inside at Chartplotter. Right now I only have some old school electronics outside with no repeater or anything.

I took a video of my testing setup installed on top of my fridge. I have connected a BMV-712 to the Raspberry Pi, 3 temp sensors, the BME 280 and using SignalK and the Kip plugin for visualization on the 13" portable screen. Lots of fun! 

HERE IS THE VIDEO

I have also run into a few minor problems I was hoping perhaps someone can help with:
  • My Raspberry Pi keeps on blanking the screen even after I have disabled the ScreenSaver. I will follow some threads I have found online so hopefully can solve this

• My initial testing saw me with a BMP180 temp and pressure sensor. I used Python code to retrieve the data once every 60 sec and I was putting that into an InfluxDB. It worked perfectly and I never dropped the "connection". SignalK does not support the BMP180 sensor so I installed the BME280 sensor instead. SignalK does read it and it all works well for a few hours. I use the SignalK->InfluxDB plugin. But overnight, with no activity on the Pi, it drops the connection. I can see it on the Grafana dashboard the next day. Any idea why this would happen? Only way to fix is to reboot the Pi.

• Overnight I also dropped the BMV-12 connection. Only way to fix is to reboot the Pi.

• The Kip Dashboard plugin is great but I am having a few issues with it. I can't get the historical data widget working. That's sort of OK as I would prefer instead to embed a Grafana dashboard into a widget. On my video that is the broken widget you see bottom right. I don't understand the Cross Domain Security Rules and how to fix that on the Raspberry Pi. Does anyone know how?
I think that summarizes the few little roadblocks I have left to solve. Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Emmanuel
sv ALULA
alulasails.com

Sorry unrelated but Alulasails? 
Is this somehow related to the new material the Ocean Rodeo Kites are made from?

https://oceanrodeo.ca/pages/kiteboarding

RE: My Testing Setup - Help! - Boatingbaileys - 2021-01-31

Hi,

I think the cross domain security rule was in the Grafana config. It was something like enable embedding and then I was able to copy the link from share graph and paste that into kip.

/etc/grafana/grafana.ini file. Search for -ALLOW_EMBEDDING - I’m sure that was it.

The logging in kip relies on you keeping that page active and for me I find Grafana better for that. I do love Kip!

RE: My Testing Setup - Help! - ALULAsails - 2021-02-01

(2021-01-31, 06:35 PM)rastam4n Wrote:

HERE IS THE VIDEO

Emmanuel
sv ALULA
alulasails.com

Is this somehow related to the new material the Ocean Rodeo Kites are made from?

ALULA is not related to the fabric used by Ocean Rodeo Kites although I did learn about them a few months ago. The Alula is latin for "winglet". 

From Wikipedia: The alula /ˈæljʊlə/, or bastard wing, (plural alulae) is a small projection on the anterior edge of the wing of modern birds and a few non-avian dinosaurs. The word is Latin and means "winglet"; it is the diminutive of ala, meaning "wing". The alula is the freely moving first digit, a bird's "thumb", and typically bears three to five small flight feathers, with the exact number depending on the species. There also are minor covert feathers overlying the flight feathers. Like the larger flight feathers found on the wing's trailing edge, these alula feathers are asymmetrical, with the shaft running closer to anterior edge.

Looks like we and Ocean Rodeo Kites may have been inspired by wind and wings and the relationship to Alula. :-)

(2021-01-31, 08:52 PM)Boatingbaileys Wrote: Hi,

I think the cross domain security rule was in the Grafana config. It was something like enable embedding and then I was able to copy the link from share graph and paste that into kip.

/etc/grafana/grafana.ini file. Search for -ALLOW_EMBEDDING - I’m sure that was it.

The logging in kip relies on you keeping that page active and for me I find Grafana better for that. I do love Kip!

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. 
I was hoping to use Kip as I recently learned about SSD card degradation on the Raspberry Pi. From what I understand, If I use Grafana, it has to suck the data from a DB which means every single piece of data is written to the SSD card. 
I was thinking that with KIP, the data was flowing through the SignalK server, but without being written to a DB (unless of course I wanted it written to InfluxDB via the plugin). 
Is my assumption correct or is there a way to use Grafana in a server-like configuration that doesn't need to be suck-in the data from a DB?
Thanks

RE: My Testing Setup - Help! - CapnKernel - 2021-02-04

(2021-01-30, 10:34 PM)ALULAsails Wrote:
  • My Raspberry Pi keeps on blanking the screen even after I have disabled the ScreenSaver. 

I can't promise this will be helpful, but it's something that has worked for me on ordinary laptops.  That is, run the command xset s -dpms
Please let me know if it works!

RE: My Testing Setup - Help! - Boatingbaileys - 2021-02-04

(2021-02-01, 04:32 AM)ALULAsails Wrote:
(2021-01-31, 06:35 PM)rastam4n Wrote:

HERE IS THE VIDEO

Emmanuel
sv ALULA
alulasails.com

ALULA is not related to the fabric used by Ocean Rodeo Kites although I did learn about them a few months ago. The Alula is latin for "winglet". 

From Wikipedia: The alula /ˈæljʊlə/, or bastard wing, (plural alulae) is a small projection on the anterior edge of the wing of modern birds and a few non-avian dinosaurs. The word is Latin and means "winglet"; it is the diminutive of ala, meaning "wing". The alula is the freely moving first digit, a bird's "thumb", and typically bears three to five small flight feathers, with the exact number depending on the species. There also are minor covert feathers overlying the flight feathers. Like the larger flight feathers found on the wing's trailing edge, these alula feathers are asymmetrical, with the shaft running closer to anterior edge.

Looks like we and Ocean Rodeo Kites may have been inspired by wind and wings and the relationship to Alula. :-)

Thanks for the help. Really appreciate it. 
I was hoping to use Kip as I recently learned about SSD card degradation on the Raspberry Pi. From what I understand, If I use Grafana, it has to suck the data from a DB which means every single piece of data is written to the SSD card. 
I was thinking that with KIP, the data was flowing through the SignalK server, but without being written to a DB (unless of course I wanted it written to InfluxDB via the plugin). 
Is my assumption correct or is there a way to use Grafana in a server-like configuration that doesn't need to be suck-in the data from a DB?
Thanks

As far as I know Grafana is DB driven. A couple of articles on the web about “streaming data” to it but it’s a workaround and it looks like the page never actually loads. I think that’s going to kill the Pi in terms of memory usage.

You can try and help the write issue, which is something I found out when I asked a similar question. I’m just testing at the moment to see how long my sd card will last. I’ve tried moving the db to a flash drive but that’s been difficult and not worked, so I’m going for a 2nd card backed up I think.

RE: My Testing Setup - Help! - ALULAsails - 2021-02-06

Thanks for your comment. I have ALLOWED EMBEDDING as per your recommendation in the .ini file. And it still doesn't work. I am not able to embed a Grafana dashboard or chart into a KIP widget. But I will keep trying!

I have solved the issue of the HDMI screen always blanking out after 10-15 minutes through an post I found somewhere online that described how to use the Raspberry Pi as a "Kiosk" of sorts. The instructions are as follows. It works perfectly. And now the screen only turns off when I press the power button on it. :-) And when I re-power it it's right back where I left of. This has also solved the issue with dropping the KIP and/or Grafana dashboarding. Seems like the raspberry Pi is now forced "ON" at all times and all processes keep running continuously.

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

add a new last line to the file a such:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1

and reboot
Cheers