OpenMarine
Choose a wind sensor - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: How do I...? (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Choose a wind sensor (/showthread.php?tid=3273)

Pages: 1 2

Choose a wind sensor - MigGat - 2021-02-12

I'm aware there are at least 2 threads in the forum that deal with this topic: Ultrasonic anemometer and Wind sensors and maybe, this question is out of topic in this forum, but i hope i can get some help.

I have a sailboat with almost no electronics: old Garmin chart plotter and VHF radio, nothing else. Now it has a Raspberry Pi4 with Moitessier HAT 2 and OpenPlotter on it, and a tablet as a screen.

I plan on adding a wind sensor, but i'm having a very hard time on choosing one, because of different factors:

1) Quality. I'm not, nor plan to be, a racer. So when i speak of quality, i don't mean that i need extreme accuracy or speed (of course, reasonable limits apply, since i will like eventually to run autopilot in windvane mode), but instead of the construction quality. I don't want to change it every year. Regarding this topic, i find models ranging from less than 200€ by Davis instruments, to more than 1.5k€ by Raymarine. And honestly, I don't understand the difference.

2) Ease of installation. Let's face it, i'm anything but skilled in this kind of tasks. And I know I would have to learn how to climb the mast, and how to install the wind sensor, so the less i have to learn, the better. In that aspect, options are wired vs wireless connection, and even solar+battery vs wire powered. I would like to find a solar wireless solution if possible, which would limit chances for errors.

3) OpenPlotter friendly. Even though this is the last point, it's obviously a must. Whatever solution i choose, i need it to be ultimately plug to OpenPlotter one way or another. I don't really mind if it already fires SignalK messages, if I need and external controller hardware, or anything in between (ie: NMEA0183 to USB adapter).

So the real question is: Can you help me figure out what wind sensor to buy based on those parameters (or others i might have overlooked).

You'll notice i didn't mention the price. Of course, the cheaper the better, but this is the first modification I do to my boat, and being definitely scared as you can see, I don't want to risk it by sparing a few €.

RE: Choose a wind sensor - abarrow - 2021-02-12

I have a Calypso ultrasonic wind sensor. The particular one I have isn't being produced by them anymore (Ultrasonic Wired BLE) but they do have a wired version of their sensor for around 400 euros. I like the sensor but with a 60ft mast the Bluetooth functions don't really work. If I had the choice again I'd get the fully wired version - the one they have now supports NMEA0183/2000 or TTL levels. As far as performance is concerned it works fine - they also include a 9 DOF sensor, which in my case I flitered out as the data was coming from elsewhere on the boat. Since they don't have anything internally that senses SOG, if you want true wind you'll have to use a SignalK plugin to calculate it from your GPS-generated SOG.

If you want to spend a little more money, go with the Airmar unit - it also includes a GPS module and doesn't require calibration because of that (at least that's what I understand). It also has humidity and temperature sensors.

RE: Choose a wind sensor - SailAlpha - 2021-02-12

On the cheap side is pypilot.org. They use a Davis instruments mechanical sensor for $100 and an Arduino based sensor for $40. The Davis is plenty rugged with 2 screws into the top of your mast for mounting. 4 wire connection back to the arduino box with a USB output of NMEA 0183. The Davis wind sensor comes with 50+ feet of weather proof wire.

Ultra sonics are more rugged, but the Davis Instruments device is intended for weather stations that may be in a hurricane. Rugged enough. The Ultrasonics have a heater so they can work in ice and snow. Not sure I'd be sailing then.

The wind info appears on any of the OpenPlotter or OpenCPN dashboards.

RE: Choose a wind sensor - Sailoog - 2021-02-12

Someone might kill me for talking too much but...

A new HAT is coming to complement the Moitessier HAT. This new HAT is ready for wind sensors like the Davis instruments and it generates Signal K data.

Keep me the secret Big Grin

RE: Choose a wind sensor - MigGat - 2021-02-13

Thanks everyone for your coments.

@abarrow The calypso ultrasonic (wired) definitely sounds like a good option. I see no point on choosing the wireless one if i have to run the power wires through the mast anyway. And 399€ is on my budget. I will most certainly consider this option, but the frequency is a bit unclear to me, as the specs say "Sample rate: 1, 4, 8 Hz"
Quote: Since they don't have anything internally that senses SOG, if you want true wind you'll have to use a SignalK plugin to calculate it from your GPS-generated SOG.
I already coded that, but is great to know SignalK has a plugin for it.

@SailAlpha Actually this was originally my first choice, as i read a lot of @sandepagnier 's posts about his pypilot. However, when investigating about shipping costs to spain, it's almost 200€ + @sandepagnier's controller, which is also expensive to ship to spain (15€ over the basic 20€ version or the 50€ more complete ). As for resistance, good to know i shouldn't worry. 

@Sailoog Wait, whaaaat?  This could certainly drive my decision in one way or another. Mainly because it affects 2nd and 3rd points (ease of installation and OP "friendliness"). I guess you can't tell us more about it's feature or expected release date, can you?   Tongue

RE: Choose a wind sensor - seandepagnier - 2021-02-16

I have made my own 3d printed wind . The cost a fraction of davis, and never wear out because it uses hall sensor not a potentiometer, but need a different calibration than davis, otherwise the wires are the same

RE: Choose a wind sensor - MigGat - 2021-02-16

(2021-02-16, 12:21 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: I have made my own 3d printed wind .   The cost a fraction of davis, and never wear out because it uses hall sensor not a potentiometer, but need a different calibration than davis, otherwise the wires are the same

That's quite interesting too! Are you planning to sell it?

RE: Choose a wind sensor - Sailoog - 2021-02-16

About the new HAT: I will be allowed to speak about features soon (hopefully 2 weeks) on a post on this forum. There you will be able to follow development and release data.

@seandepagnier: do you have more details about your 3d printed wind sensor? it would be great to make it work with this new HAT too.

RE: Choose a wind sensor - Sailoog - 2021-02-18

Here we go...

https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=3284

RE: Choose a wind sensor - MigGat - 2021-02-18

Nice! I will wait for release date before making up my mind about the windsensor.

Also waiting por @sandepagnier updates Big Grin