OpenMarine
BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Bug Reports (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges (/showthread.php?tid=3542)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - baltika_no_9 - 2021-07-17

That's good to know they really are working.

Assuming the address of the BME has been changed to 0x76 per the instructions (that script would fail if you hadn't of course) then do you see the data if you go to Start>Openplotter>SignalK>Data Browser?

There is a mistake in that Pican documentation, page 18 assumes you've set the address to 0x76 but step 3 on page 19 says select 0x77. It should be 0x76 but I don't think that's your problem. I assume you selected 0x76 anyway.

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - faurmic - 2021-07-17

(2021-07-17, 08:00 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: That's good to know they really are working.

Assuming the address of the BME has been changed to 0x76 per the instructions (that script would fail if you hadn't of course) then do you see the data if you go to Start>Openplotter>SignalK>Data Browser?

There is a mistake in that Pican documentation, page 18 assumes you've set the address to 0x76 but step 3 on page 19 says select 0x77. It should be 0x76 but I don't think that's your problem. I assume you selected 0x76 anyway.

I wrote in my very first post : "In SignalK > Databrowser search for pressure or temperature : NOTHING"

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - baltika_no_9 - 2021-07-17

(2021-07-17, 05:32 PM)faurmic Wrote:
(2021-07-17, 08:00 AM)baltika_no_9 Wrote: That's good to know they really are working.

I wrote in my very first post : "In SignalK > Databrowser search for pressure or temperature : NOTHING"

So you did, please accept my sincerest apologies.  It's frustrating isn't it when people supposedly trying to help can't even be bothered to read posts thoroughly.

I beg your pardon.

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - Jay_cd33 - 2021-08-27

Hi All,
New here and need some help please.   
I'm having the same issue as faurmic and mfaircloth describe.   Bme280 sensor installed and configured with I2C app, connected to signalk but no data appears in signalk dashboard or data browser.
So the details:
      1. New fresh install of OP 16Dec2020 v2 starting image on RPi4 (4GB).   BME280 module connected to i2c.  OS updated.  Signalk and I2C app updated in OP Settings.
      2. Same hardware in a May 2021 install of OP worked great.  Signalk received data, fed into Influxdb, plotted in Grafana.  Decided to do a fresh install for other setup reasons.  Do not have which versions were used in that working install.
      3. Python script mentioned in this thread shows the sensor in working and giving temperature, pressure and humidity data.

Here are some screen captures that may help.

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - Jay_cd33 - 2021-08-28

Just to add a little more info to my previous post, if I open a terminal and enter openplotter-i2c-read cmd I get the following error message.  Don't know if this is pertinent or not.

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - Lazzz - 2021-08-28

(2021-08-28, 02:49 AM)Jay_cd33 Wrote: Just to add a little more info to my previous post, if I open a terminal and enter openplotter-i2c-read cmd I get the following error message.  Don't know if this is pertinent or not.

I just had a look at mine & I'm using port 51000 - working as should!!

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - Jay_cd33 - 2021-08-28

(2021-08-28, 03:34 AM)Lazzz Wrote:
(2021-08-28, 02:49 AM)Jay_cd33 Wrote: Just to add a little more info to my previous post, if I open a terminal and enter openplotter-i2c-read cmd I get the following error message.  Don't know if this is pertinent or not.

I just had a look at mine & I'm using port 51000 - working as should!!

Thanks for the reply.   
Yes mine was originally 51000 too, which didn't work.  In my many iterations to make this work I edited the port number in the I2C app to 5100, which also doesn't work.

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - Jay_cd33 - 2021-08-30

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
So I figured out the problem with not getting BME280 sensor data into SignalK described in my previous posts.

It turns out Adafruit has updated their BME280 python library used in the openplotter i2c app to read sensor data. So new installs download the updated library which breaks the openplotte i2c read app.  The openplotterI2cRead app runs as a service, reads the sensor data and sends it to signalk.  The problem is that the library import in openplotterI2cRead.py is not compatible with the new library.   So the openplotter i2c app sets up the bme280 sensor correctly and configures signalk with a good connection but no data is sent to that connection by the openplotterI2cRead app.

So Sailoog needs to correct the BME280 library import call in a future release.   For those that are willing to hack the changes necessary to make it work here is what I did...

In the directory;
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/openplotterI2c
The file openplotterI2cRead.py needs to be edited. (sudo needed to edit file),

Change line 44 (in the BME280 section)
        import adafruit_bme280

to:
        from adafruit_bme280 import basic as adafruit_bme280

(be aware the from is preceeded by 2 tabs not spaces).

After saving these changes, either restart the openplotter-i2c-read.service or reboot.

That fixed the problem for me.   I hope this helps others.  
I'm not a coder so Sailoog will probably have a proper fix in a future release.

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - faurmic - 2021-09-06

(2021-08-30, 01:03 AM)Jay_cd33 Wrote: Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 
So I figured out the problem with not getting BME280 sensor data into SignalK described in my previous posts.

It turns out Adafruit has updated their BME280 python library used in the openplotter i2c app to read sensor data. So new installs download the updated library which breaks the openplotte i2c read app.  The openplotterI2cRead app runs as a service, reads the sensor data and sends it to signalk.  The problem is that the library import in openplotterI2cRead.py is not compatible with the new library.   So the openplotter i2c app sets up the bme280 sensor correctly and configures signalk with a good connection but no data is sent to that connection by the openplotterI2cRead app.

So Sailoog needs to correct the BME280 library import call in a future release.   For those that are willing to hack the changes necessary to make it work here is what I did...

In the directory;

import adafruit_bme280

to:

After saving these changes, either restart the openplotter-i2c-read.service or reboot.

Hi Jay_cd33,

Worked for me ! THANKS

RE: BME280 > SignalK no data/gauges - angryemu - 2021-09-06

(2021-08-30, 01:03 AM)Jay_cd33 Wrote: Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

In the directory;

import adafruit_bme280

to:

Wow, thanks SOOO much!! This worked for me also and I can't tell you how many hours I'd wasted trying to fix this nagging problem. I'm stunned at how you managed to troubleshoot this. Oh how much I've still to learn  Big Grin