OpenMarine
OpenCPN crashes when zooming oeSENC charts - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: OpenCPN crashes when zooming oeSENC charts (/showthread.php?tid=529)

OpenCPN crashes when zooming oeSENC charts - baltika_no_9 - 2017-06-05

I posted this on the OpenCPN forum but am adding it here in case there is some implication for OpenPlotter and its user community.

I am running OP 0.11.9 alpha and OpenCPN v 4.6.1 with all the latest updated including plugins on a Raspberry Pi 3.

I purchased some oeSENC charts and enabled the relevant plugin in OpenCPN. All was working fine for a few days but today as I was zooming in or out OpenCPN would crash.

If I start OpenCPN from the command line (with or without -no_opengl) I get the following:

Code:
(opencpn:1693): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_drawable_get_image: assertion 'GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed
(opencpn:1693): Gdk-CRITICAL **: IA__gdk_image_get_colormap: assertion 'GDK_IS_IMAGE (image)' failed
(opencpn:1693): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
The program 'opencpn' received an X Window System error.
This probably reflects a bug in the program.
The error was 'BadAlloc (insufficient resources for operation)'.
 (Details: serial 107567 error_code 11 request_code 53 minor_code 0)
 (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously;
  that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it.
  To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line
  option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful
  backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)
I get an error in the OpenCPN log when I start the application as follows:

Code:
pi@panza:~/.opencpn $ tail opencpn.log
15:05:11 BST: Available TRUE
15:05:11 BST: oeSENC_pi failed to initialize OpenGL
15:05:12 BST: Initializing Chart /home/pi/Charts/UKandFrance/redpi-FRatl_UK-2017-1/redpi-FRatl_UK-2017-1/OC-44-201411.oesenc
15:05:12 BST: processChartInfo /home/pi/Charts/UKandFrance/redpi-FRatl_UK-2017-1/redpi-FRatl_UK-2017-1/OC-44-201411.oesenc
15:05:12 BST: validate_SENC_server
15:05:12 BST: Available TRUE
15:05:12 BST: oeSENC_pi failed to initialize OpenGL
I went into OpenCPN and disabled the oeSENC plugin but I didn't commit it by hitting APPLY. I rebooted and hey presto everything worked as before. I don't see the "oeSENC_pi failed to initialize OpenGL" message and I can zoom in an out at will. It fails however if I enable either the KMS or the Fake KMS OpenGL option.

I'd made no changes to the OpenGL options between everything working and then not so it is a mystery to me what changed to stop it working.

RE: OpenCPN crashes when zooming oeSENC charts - Sailoog - 2017-06-06

OpenGL on raspberry is still experimental, I do not recommend it for production installations, just for test purposes.

RE: OpenCPN crashes when zooming oeSENC charts - baltika_no_9 - 2017-06-07

I completely understand that. The problem occurred on my home test rig.

Thanks and regards