OpenMarine
Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: How do I...? (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Thread: Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat (/showthread.php?tid=5512)

Pages: 1 2

Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - KKempeneers - 2024-06-30

Hi,

For now I have OP2 running on my sailboat, but i bought an RPi5 and some SensESP's, other fancy stuff and a MacArthur Hat to go with that. I was hoping to get it all up and running by now. But, oh my goodness that wasn't easy.

Now I'm wondering, since pigpiod is not supported by RPi5 hardware ... should i roll back and install OP4 on a PI4?

Short recap of the latest caveat:
I'm trying to get the MacArthur hat to work with my installation on RPi5, but i only see the one UART that is hardwired to the Maiana AIS connector on the Hat. How do I enable the two (software?) uarts that are associated with NMEA0183? Is there something I've missed during the installation?

Any help is appreciated.

RE: Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - Sailoog - 2024-07-01

https://macarthur-hat-documentation.readthedocs.io/en/latest/nmea0183.html

RE: Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - KKempeneers - 2024-07-01

Thanks, I had already read that part of the manual...

But the problem is: the UART buttons are grayed out, nothing happens when I click on them.
I'll try clicking and rebooting immediately there after and see what happens.

Koen

If you are using OP4, UART buttons grayed out means that your Raspberry is model 3, weird...

RE: Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - KKempeneers - 2024-07-01

Mmmm ... Weird indeed. Is there somebody that can confirm it works on a Raspberry Pi 5? And what steps must be taken for the installation. 
I'd be happy to start the installation over if something is missed, but I would like to get it up and running.

Koen

There are already hundreds of RPI5 running OP4.

Could you open a terminal and type this?

cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model

what do you get?

RE: Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - KKempeneers - 2024-07-03

(2024-07-01, 07:58 PM)Sailoog Wrote: There are already hundreds of RPI5 running OP4.

Could you open a terminal and type this?

cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model

what do you get?

Raspberry Pi 5 Model B Rev 1.0

But there is more ... I installed the new PI in the boat today, with the power module I might add, both 12V en 5V light up. The Pi starts up as normal but when I switch 12V off the Pi shuts down instantanious. (No power down sequence) Both GPIO pins are configured, and the unswitched 12V remains present.

My 5 cents ... There is some GPIO related stuff missing.

RE: Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - KKempeneers - 2024-07-04

Just like my five cents ... The extra UARTS on Pi4 and Pi5 are disabled by default. I need to add a dtoverlay in /etc/firmware/config.txt. Can someone please confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Koen.

RE: Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - Sailoog - 2024-07-04

this is what you should see using OP4 in RPi5:

[Image: serial5.png]

You do not need to edit the conf file. Please delete any data you have added to config file, reboot and publish here your screenshot.

RE: Raspberry Pi5 Serial - MacArthur Hat - Sailoog - 2024-07-04

(2024-07-03, 01:45 PM)KKempeneers Wrote: Raspberry Pi 5 Model B Rev 1.0

But there is more ... I installed the new PI in the boat today, with the power module I might add, both 12V en 5V light up. The Pi starts up as normal but when I switch 12V off the Pi shuts down instantanious. (No power down sequence) Both GPIO pins are configured, and the unswitched 12V remains present.

My 5 cents ... There is some GPIO related stuff missing.

You have to switch off 12V SW not 12V:

[Image: powering.png]