OpenMarine
Ok, I give up - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: OpenPlotter (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: General discussion (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Ok, I give up (/showthread.php?tid=879)

Pages: 1 2

Ok, I give up - vapochilled - 2017-11-30

For several months I've worked and spent money on this, yet I still can not get the rpi3 to be smooth enough to use as a nav device.
Loading and using maps is painfully slow (tried both enc and rnc).
The rpi touchscreen was a complete waste of money, unusable(never could get right click to work with opencpn).
I have however learned a lot, thanks to the people on this forum and to the openplotter project, which really does make complex things appear easy.
So, I'm changing direction, I don't believe the rpi3 is capable of working well enough to use as a nav device, I trully envy you people smart enough to get it to work for you, but it is awful from where I sit!
So my plan now is use a laptop and tablet that actually has enough horsepower to move a map left one click without taking 15 seconds!
I'll still run opencpn on those devices but I want to use openplotter to "send" all my gps/ais/ sensor data magically out to those devices. Which I know it can do...
I just need someone to point me to a "for idiots" guide to doing it please.
As an example of why I'm frustrated, I just ran opencpn on my desktop, granted it has power, and uses power! but...90fps vs the rpi which is turning in 2fps, I can't move a map without it taking an eternity, I've watched videos where people scroll around with abandon...bastards,lol
So frustrating because I really think OP is a great project, I just can not make it work for me,

RE: Ok, I give up - abarrow - 2017-11-30

Sorry to hear this. A few of us, me included, use OpenPlotter as a data multiplexer, AIS receiver, electronic compass, GPS, etc. with very, very flexible features for output to other devices. In my case, I have an Android tablet running OpenCPN (with charts stored on the device) which gets all real-time data from OpenPlotter via WiFi.

It's really fairly easy, you just make sure that whatever other instance of OpenCPN you are using is listening on the correct TCP port, and any data that is being generated by OpenPlotter can be received as NMEA strings in OpenCPN via wifi.

RE: Ok, I give up - vapochilled - 2017-11-30

(2017-11-30, 02:35 PM)abarrow Wrote: Sorry to hear this. A few of us, me included, use OpenPlotter as a data multiplexer, AIS receiver, electronic compass, GPS, etc. with very, very flexible features for output to other devices. In my case, I have an Android tablet running OpenCPN (with charts stored on the device) which gets all real-time data from OpenPlotter via WiFi.

It's really fairly easy, you just make sure that whatever other instance of OpenCPN you are using is listening on the correct TCP port, and any data that is being generated by OpenPlotter can be received as NMEA strings  in OpenCPN via wifi.

that's exactly how I want to use it now, I just wish the raspi had enough juice to actually serve as a plotter without bogging down and crashing

RE: Ok, I give up - SkipperEarly - 2017-11-30

(2017-11-30, 02:35 PM)abarrow Wrote: Sorry to hear this. A few of us, me included, use OpenPlotter as a data multiplexer, AIS receiver, electronic compass, GPS, etc. with very, very flexible features for output to other devices. In my case, I have an Android tablet running OpenCPN (with charts stored on the device) which gets all real-time data from OpenPlotter via WiFi.

It's really fairly easy, you just make sure that whatever other instance of OpenCPN you are using is listening on the correct TCP port, and any data that is being generated by OpenPlotter can be received as NMEA strings  in OpenCPN via wifi.

Totally agree! I use OpenCPN on the raspi more for testing and as backup and sometimes  (but not happy with it!) for the logbook_pi 
OpenCPN does not perform reliably on the raspi and requires too much patience for anything other than visialisation. Its not performant enough for routeplanning, weather routing etc. 

Would welcome to have the logbook independently from OpenCPN on the raspi with configurable autologging of NMEA/SignalK values and a customizable user interface/output (somehow similar to the konnilogbook plugin. ) - Xmas coming up I thought I may add this wish Wink

RE: Ok, I give up - Sailoog - 2017-11-30

Really? I can use opencpn smoothly out of the box.
Are you sure you do not have any process running in the background.
OP version?
are you sure you are running a RP3?

RE: Ok, I give up - vapochilled - 2017-11-30

(2017-11-30, 07:18 PM)Sailoog Wrote: Really? I can use opencpn smoothly out of the box.
Are you sure you do not have any process running in the background.
OP version?
are you sure you are running a RP3?

pretty sure Tongue 

latest version of openplotter
clean install, nothing else added
tried with every combination of openGL on/off you can imagine, tried increasing allotted memory.
even tried a different pi3 (unless neither are pi3's Hmmm) Smile
could it be the maps themselves? NY/NJ raritan bay area NOAA maps

RE: Ok, I give up - abarrow - 2017-11-30

I find that ENC maps, particularly big ones, are a problem on OpenCPN, even when using a laptop.

I use KAPs from GE2KAP, generated from Navionics web.

What about going in to the Advanced tab on OpenCPN Charts to see if making adjustments there makes a difference?

RE: Ok, I give up - jim321 - 2017-11-30

try this in terminal see what board you have

cat /proc/device-tree/model

https://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/09/checking-your-raspberry-pi-board-version/

RE: Ok, I give up - monos - 2017-12-02

I'm pretty surprised what you're saying. I have been using OPlotter since its beginnings with a Rpi 1, years ago and in those days and... yes, it use to behaved as you say. But since the appearance of Rpi 2 and especially Rpi 3 Ocpn behaves quite well on Rpi 3. In fact better than in some older PCs that I still have.

In my case I use the CM93 cartography (all the wordl) and the official  oesENC charts of Spain and it works perfectly. Of course, something slower than a modern PC but nothing stands out. Even showing AIS targets in real time.

This could be a problem related to the SD card. I have found that using certain SD cards makes the difference and price is not necessarily the issue to consider.

On the other hand, doing what you want is perfectly feasible. In fact it is implemented out off the box. Just do, as you've already been told, that the version of OCpn you have on your favorite device "drinks" from the NMEA data that OPlotter serves across the network.

I use both at the same time. OCpn running in OPlotter and Ocpn running on my android phone in my watersuit pocket feeded from the OPlotter data... all at once and working properly.

RE: Ok, I give up - vapochilled - 2017-12-04

Monos, great point, I'd not thought about the SD card
card I'm using is a 16gb sandisk HCi ?
I do have 32gb sandisk Ultra, I'll try that and report back

Thanks again for the suggestion