OpenMarine
Motor Controller - Printable Version

+- OpenMarine (https://forum.openmarine.net)
+-- Forum: Pypilot (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: Feature requests (https://forum.openmarine.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Motor Controller (/showthread.php?tid=912)

Motor Controller - NahanniV - 2017-12-26

I have a Raymarine type 2 Electro-Hydraulic reversing pump-set.

The spec. says 24A Typical:

http://www.nautimarket.com/documenti/600-699_strumentazione/645-raymarine-cartografie-autopiloti-combinati-multifunzione-ecoscandagli-radar-strumenti-vela/installation-guide-raymarine-autopilot-evolution-EV-150-EV-200-hydraulicpump-E12139-M81119-M81120-M81121-M81122-M81123-M81124_en.pdf

Can you support this ?

I also have a smaller Type 1 pump-set that is rated 19A as a backup; Possibly I could plumb this in in parallel.

Cheers,
JM.

RE: Motor Controller - seandepagnier - 2017-12-30

(2017-12-26, 04:19 PM)NahanniV Wrote: I have a Raymarine type 2 Electro-Hydraulic reversing pump-set.

The spec. says 24A Typical:

http://www.nautimarket.com/documenti/600-699_strumentazione/645-raymarine-cartografie-autopiloti-combinati-multifunzione-ecoscandagli-radar-strumenti-vela/installation-guide-raymarine-autopilot-evolution-EV-150-EV-200-hydraulicpump-E12139-M81119-M81120-M81121-M81122-M81123-M81124_en.pdf

Can you support this ?

I also have a smaller Type 1 pump-set that is rated 19A as a backup; Possibly I could plumb this in in parallel.

Cheers,
JM.

I am in the progress of building a higher current controller which will be able to support this, but at this time, my current controller is big enough.

The autopilot computer would remain the same.

RE: Motor Controller - NahanniV - 2017-12-31

(2017-12-30, 05:09 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: I am in the progress of building a higher current controller which will be able to support this, but at this time, my current controller is big enough.

The autopilot computer would remain the same.

Not sure I understand?

What happens if the current controller encounters an over current condition ?

Thanks,
JM.

RE: Motor Controller - seandepagnier - 2018-01-02

If over current is detected, the controller will not move in that direction any more. The max current possible in bursts is 20 amps for this controller, and 60 for the new controller.

This is from the drive stalling, typically.

It is different from over-temperature which will occur if the average current is too high and the components heat up. This controller can handle few amps average, the new controller should be able to average 20. In this case, the motor will stop until the controller cools sufficiently.

So, maybe the smaller controller will work, in some conditions with a hydraulic pump (provided it doesn't surge above 20 amps). For example, I average 1/4th watt (makes small adjustment every 15-20 seconds) for in light air and protected waters, vs 4 watts running down wind, with swells.

RE: Motor Controller - Ingo - 2018-05-21

HI,
any news on the bigger motor controller?

regards
Ingo

RE: Motor Controller - seandepagnier - 2018-05-21

I have two prototype units, for higher power. One is working, but the other I just assembled is a better design. I didn't try yet. I haven't programmed it yet.

I have been very busy last few days compiling opencpn plugins to work on android.

RE: Motor Controller - verkerkbr - 2018-07-31

Hi Sean,

Pypilot is an interesting development. I like to try this on my Simrad TP. But I prefer to use the latest improved version of your motorcontroller. Any indication when this version is expected to become available ?

Regards,

Bram

RE: Motor Controller - seandepagnier - 2018-07-31

There are two versions. The first uses brushless ESC and is not much more improved in the future, only the next version might be cheaper. It uses around 50mA idle. It can handle only 5 amp continuous because it's in a plastic box, if it were metal and/or had a fan, it could go up to 20 amps. It's about 97% efficient at 2-3 amps.

The high power version uses much less power, 16mA idle and 22mA driving the mosfets. It is more efficient, about 98.5% efficient at 10 amps, and is more efficient even at only a few amps. The mosfets should handle 60-80 amp continuous, so far testing with a hydraulic motor, the controller does not get warm.

I have ordered parts to make 3 more, I also have a few working prototypes pm me if interested.

RE: Motor Controller - NahanniV - 2019-01-31

When do you think you will be selling the higher current driver ?

I now have a Raymarine type II rotary drive.

I'm in Vero Beach Fl. getting ready to head to Bahamas if you are anywhere in the neighborhood.

Cheers,
JM.

RE: Motor Controller - seandepagnier - 2019-01-31

Send me a PM or email and I can make one by next week. I have the parts but it takes me 2 days to build one controller so it's difficult to keep up.

24A and 19A are both very high figures. The linear drive typically does not draw anywhere near this, more like 10 amps.

In either case, the hydraulic controller can supply this much power but I doubt this is what it actually draws. I suggest you actually measure the current draw moving the rudder.