This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vesper XB8000 into SignalK
I have a Vesper XB8000 that has a wifi AP.  The documents for this device is at https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=Q3...ZEsNHm8IT7.  I've also included the installation manual

Question is:  How to connect signalk to the the Vesper wifi access point to get nmea0183? 

I've tried this:
Connect to the Vesper wifi.
In signalk goto server => Data Connections => input Data Type as nmea0183 => input nmea Source for Vesper IP addresss (192.168.15.1) => add the port number (39150) and apply.

I don't see any new data connections.  Is TCP client signalk client to the Vesper or do I have it backwards???

Any help is greatly appricated.

Jim
S/V Rising Star

Attached Files
.pdf   XB_InstallGuide_20171017-web_230914_141612.pdf (Size: 1.23 MB / Downloads: 101)
That should do it. Did you restart the server?
(2023-09-15, 05:32 AM)tkurki Wrote: That should do it. Did you restart the server?

I know it's pilot error and on the right path.  In the process of figuring out the data streams.  Got SensESP and Node mqtt into Signalk now. 

BTW who ever developed these tools? -- Tell them Great Job and thanks.

JIm
S/V Rising Star
Interesting, I am using a Pi 5 and OpenPlotter 4 and it won't connect to my Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 over WiFi. Its not the settings as these are definitely correct. Last week a Pi4 and Openplotter 3 connected perfectly, an iPad with Navionics connects with no issues, same with an iPhone. It's definitely something particular to the Pi 5 and open plotter 4. It might be the Pi5 and its WiFi networking. I am very familiar with WiFi settings and network configuration, in fact I invented a system of high availability networking at DEC which was instrumental in making the internet reliable.

The fact that a Pi 4 running open plotter 3 worked and connected without any issues using exactly the same settings as the PI 5 refused to connect with makes me think this is an issue specific to the PI 5 and Open plotter 4. The Pi 5 is SOOOOO fast I really don't want to have to go back to the Pi 4. Anyone got any thoughts.
Thanks.

Incidentally, If you are trying to connect a Watchman to signal K the first thing is to connect the PI's wifi to the Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 the IP address if its not been changed is 192.168.15.1 and the SSID is VesperXB + your serial number if its not been changed. The default password is "WatchMate". Once your have connected to the Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 then you can configure the SignalK connection.
An update, if you add a wifi dongle to the USB port of the PI5 it then connects to the Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 over WiFi immediately. So the procedure is to connect your Pi to the Vesper WatchMate XB-8000 over WiFi. By logging in with the Password WatchMate if you are using a Pi5 you may have to use a USB wifi dongle and not the built in Pi5 wifi. Once you are connected log in to Signal K go to Server, Data, add Data Connection. add a Client TCP connection IP address "192.168.15.1" port number 39150 hit apply. restart signal K and you should now have access to all the NMEA 0183 data being transmitted by the Vesper WatchMate XB-8000. I did it yesterday and I could see the AIS data on my screen after a couple of minutes. Do NOT add the WatchMate to OpenCPN connections in the Connections tab directly as it causes a conflict. OpenCPN should receive all the data from the Vesper XB8000 WatchMate over the default Signal K connection.

Hillzzz
SV Antrice