This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudder control buttons bug in web interface
I have just upgraded my pypilot to the latest software. It has pypilot 30a hydraulic motor controller, both are built by Sean in 2019.

3 wire rudder sensor connected to the motor controller.

The whole setup was working perfectly before but it failed a while ago due to a dead SD card. I had not used it for a while and just got around to installing a new SD card with the latest software so I'm starting with a completely fresh install and I lost all settings except what was saved in the motor controller. I had not updated it for a long time before that so I skipped a few versions.

When I started it up and tried to calibrate the rudder, strangely the (<)  (>) buttons for manual rudder movement on the web interface worked backwards - the starboard button moved the rudder port. Even more strangely, this was still the case even after doing the rudder calibration several times using the web interface. Surely after setting the starboard limit and port limit it should then know which way is which? The motor wiring had not been changed.

When I was unable to change the motor direction using calibration then I tried swapping the motor power wires to change the motor direction. That got the manual rudder control buttons working the right way and I was able to calibrate it properly, however now there seems to be a problem with the limits being backwards instead.

When the rudder is nearly fully to starboard I get a MIN_RUDDER_FAULT error at the position where I calibrated the starboard limit. The controller then refuses to bring the rudder back towards the centre but it allows me to push it further to starboard until it hits the physical stop. It seems like it should be giving MAX_RUDDER_FAULT error but it is giving MIN_RUDDER instead so everything is backwards.

The opposite happens on the port side I get MAX_RUDDER_FAULT error when I should get MIN_RUDDER_FAULT and the rudder is allowed to go further to port but not allowed back towards the centre.

So.... it seems like everything is upside down. Surely the calibration process should tell it which end of the travel is port and which is starboard and then it shouldn't matter which way around the wires are, but that seems to be broken with the latest version, or is it something I did?

I checked the rudder sensor has +4.7v on red, 0v on black, signal voltage is moving between those two so that all seems good.

Any ideas? Thanks!
OK, it's definitely a bug in the web interface.

Today I tried doing the same thing with the PyPilot OpenCPN plugin instead of using the web interface. It turns out that the rudder control buttons in the web interface are the wrong way round! After putting the motor + and - wires back the original way round (how they were to start with), now the rudder control buttons and limits are all functioning correctly in the pypilot plugin.

The buttons in the web interface are backwards and push the rudder the opposite direction to what they should.

EDIT: I have created an issue for this in github.