This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MacArthur HAT with power module does not power Pi
Hi, my setup is a Raspberry Pi 4B with dAISy HAT and MacArthur HAT with the power module. Cannot get the system to work.

First floor is the RPi, second floor MacArthur HAT with power module, third floor is the dAISy HAT. All properly connected with the correct distances between the three floors. Just not sure about this the CAN-terminal of the MacArthur. I do not have this jumper but possibly need it? In the end it has to oprate on the NMEA2000 network, but now it is in the test/install state at home.

When i use the power module, with the Constant power and the switched power, only the MacArthur HAT powers and the 12V indicator lights up. The Pi and dAISy HAT will not power up. And of course the HDMI- monitor will display "No Signal"

When i remove the power to the MacArthur Power module completely and power the Raspberry Pi directly with it's 5V USB plug, it will start right up and so will the dAISY HAT. Now the MacArthur HAT will stay dead. I am aware of course that i cannot use Pi's 5V power and MacArthur's 12V power at the same time.

So, it seems that either one or the other part of the system works, but never the whole system. 
Anyone who regognises this issue? After many months of waiting, i would like to finally get something working here.
Hi Harry,
I understand your frustration.
I'm not an expert on this but I DO have the same setup with Pi4b MacArthur hat (with power module) and Daisy hat etc. and it works for me.
Is the 5V indicator (beside the 12V indicator) on the MacArthur hat lighting up ?
Mine does. If yours doesn't, this may indicate a problem with the power module or the fitting of it.
Pi5 8Gb, NVMe Base 265Gb, MacArthur Hat, Daisy Hat, PyPilot controller, 15.6" Sihovision 1000Nits Touchscreen.
Indeed, that would be my guess. The 12V indicator comes on, but the 5V indicator does not. Today or tomorrow i will take everything apart again and see if there is anything visible.
Findings so far: there is no 5 volt outlet on the power module, while the 12 volt input (both constant 12 volt as the switched 12 volt through NMEA2000 are present.) Seems the power module is not functioning.
If the 5V indicator does not come on, there is no output from the power module.

You can check the EN pin of the power module, to see if the switched 12V make it to the module. It should read about 3V with the 12V switched on. If EN is 3V but 5V doesn't turn on, the power module is likely defective.
I am in direct contact with Wegmatt right now (excellent service so far!), and i have got some things to measure to determine what is wrong. Hope to sort it out this week and will come back with the results.
Done the measurements today and all this point to a faulty power module. To be continued...
Let's get you updated....

After measuring, the suspicion came down to a faulty power module. Both Roberto from Open Marine Shop, Adrian from Wegmatt, and i agreed on this. 
Roberto immediately sent me a new power module, which i received today. 
I built it in and the system started right up. Now i can finally go on with the software.

The faulty power module will go back to Open Marine Shop, where it will be investigated, as this seems to be the first non-functioning power-module that they know of.

Thanks to anyone who tried to help out here, and a very special thanks to Roberto and Adrian for the excellent service all the way!