This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade pypilot to MacArthur Hat -> Where to purchase suggested ICM-20948?
Is there a purchasable IMU breakout board that can be connected directly to the MacArthur Hat?

A part number/manufacturer of this would be appreciated and I can source locallyish. (Canada - well at least in North America!)

Thanks for your input. I'm getting roadblocked by the easy stuff right now...

Cheers,

Steve
You probably want IMU is a separate small box.
It’s much easier to calibrate it that way.
As well it’s easier to pick a place away from
electric currents and magnetic interferences.
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

(2024-08-24, 09:01 PM)mgrouch Wrote: You probably want IMU is a separate small box.
It’s much easier to calibrate it that way.
As well it’s easier to pick a place away from
electric currents and magnetic interferences.

Hi Mgrouch, 

Thanks for the response. Agreed that it may be better to remote the IMU away however it is a signal level I2C bus. I am not sure on the data rates coming out of the IMU however I2C is good to about a meter at 100k and 10m at 10k if twisted pair 22AWG wiring is used. 

That brings up a good question, what is the baud rate on the IMU? I am not sure right now however once I get set up I will figure that out and the location for that unit may be remoted at that time.

I notice on your setup (I watched your video) you have the IMU mounted on (is that a pypilot board?). Did you have trouble calibrating? 

I used to have the pypilot however then the MacArthur Hat came out and I decided to upgrade before I went too far down the rabbit hole! If I did that, I figure I should get the latest IMU as well. They seem to improve at a rapid rate.

Very nice setup that you have and looks like you have spent quite a bit of time getting the system up and running. Excellent work, hats off to you.

Cheers,

Steve
Well, just an update for anyone who reads this thread. Since I have a pypilot that is obsolete with the release of the MacArthur Hat I desoldered the 20948 from pypilot HAT and moved to the McArthur Hat. Note however that the pinout is not compatible. A work around: On MacArthur Hat, the IMU header (10pin) has 4 pins connected for IMU and the remaining are no-connects. So, soldered a long header into the original 20948, placed it in the no-connect header pins and wire-wrapped PWR, GND, SCL, SDA as required.
We are in contact with a company to provide IMUs for the MacArthut HAT plug and play. They will be available in our EU and US shops but it will take still some weeks.

If you use an external IMU with more than 1 meter of cable, it will not work reliably unless you have an I2C amplifier.

Look at this picture. You will see how to keep using pypilot with the MacArthur HAT

[Image: pypilot-options.png]

source: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/lates...t_app.html