This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tinypilot networking : netmask problem with a fixed ip address ?
Hello, here is my configuration:
- a Raspberry Pi 4 with OpenPlotter starts an AccessPoint (IP 10.10.10.1)
- a Raspberry Pi Zero W with TinyPilot, connects as a client to the OpenPlotter AP with a fixed IP address (10.10.10.2)
- a Windows PC also connects to the OpenPlotter AP with a dynamic IP address (DHCP)

OpenPlotter sees Pypilot (ping OK).
But the PC does not see Pypilot (ping KO).
I believe the problem is linked to the network mask which is different between OpenPlotter and the PC on the one hand (255.255.255.0) and Pypilot on the other hand (255.0.0.0).
I tried to modify the Pypilot mask by running the command :
Code:
sudo ifconfig wlan0 10.10.10.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
and it worked: the PC saw Pypilot immediately. But on reboot, the config is lost, the problem returns.

I see that in the /opt/networking.sh file there is no network mask specified:
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 $CLIENT_ADDRESS

Would it be possible that by default Pypilot uses the same netmask as OpenPlotter? Or failing that, that the network mask be configurable in the same way as the fixed IP address?
Unless there is another option to solve my problem?
NB: I do not want to associate an IP address with TinyPilot from its Mac address, in the OpenPlotter config

On the other hand, I have a question: my understanding of the "AP and client" option is that Pypilot first attempts to connect as a client to the configured AP. And if he doesn't succeed, he starts his own AP.
Is this really how it works?

Thanks !
That is quite strange.. Normally dhcp should assign the netmask right? Have you configured pypilot as a client with a fixed ip address is that the reason? If so perhaps modifying networking.sh and running "filetool.sh -b" helps? Let me know I will put this in future versions.

As for AP + Client, not it actually tries to do both at the same time. So if the client cant connect because say openplotter is not running, you could still connect to pypilot access point.