This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA 2000 rudder angle
I am using open plotter on a RPI4 with a NMEA conversion hat. I would like to add a rudder sensor with a gage and connect to rpi/pypilot.  I found a Kus NMEA 2000 rudder unit with gage.  

My question is will the rpi and pypilot see and utilize the NMEA info or does it have to hook to the motor controller.
It can use nmea0183, but for n2k you would have to convert to signalk or nema0183.

Keep in mind that sending rudder angle over the network has inherent lag or delay. The primary use of the indicator is to prevent the motor moving too far, and attaching it to the motor controller directly, gives the best possible reaction time because the raspberry pi itself does not even need to react (the stop happens with logic in the motor controller itself)