This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can NMEA 0183 v1.x / RS232 (NASA Wind) device interface with MacArthur Hat
(2024-07-08, 06:22 PM)Adrian Wrote: It would be interesting to see a scope trace of the data coming out of the NASA device.

Generally, for debugging NMEA 0183 inputs: The NMEA 0183 RX LED should be off when idle, and blink on when there's activity. If the LED action is the other way around (on when idle, blinking off when active), swapping +/- wires may help.

Actisense has a great document about the electrical details of NMEA 0183: https://actisense.com/wp-content/uploads...-4-1-1.pdf

My wind system is a Nasa Clipper v2 with 3 wires. For several years, I've been using the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer and it worked well through the wifi network or via usb. Signal K and Opencpn received nmea strings with Openplotter 3 / PI 4.

I'm mounting a new raspberry PI 5 with the McArthur hat, all is well, Maiana works well and Seatalk 1 too. I'm having a problem with the Nasa Clipper windvane connected to ttyAMA2, the led is blinking but neither SignalK nor OpenCpn can read the nmea strings?  
I tried in Signal K 
Validate Checksum no
Append Checksum yes
Remove NULL characters yes
It doesn't work

I analyzed the received frames with a Python code on ttyAWA2 so through the McArthur on uart, it looks like this.

See attached files

There was a follow-up at Signal K level in 2020.
https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server/issues/970
Thomas-GeDaD modified index,js of Signal K and it should work but it doesn't, Signal k doesn't connect on ttyAWA2

Can anyone help me?

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Attached Files Image(s)

Pierre 
(2024-09-05, 04:57 AM)NousVoila Wrote:
(2024-07-08, 06:22 PM)Adrian Wrote: It would be interesting to see a scope trace of the data coming out of the NASA device.

Generally, for debugging NMEA 0183 inputs: The NMEA 0183 RX LED should be off when idle, and blink on when there's activity. If the LED action is the other way around (on when idle, blinking off when active), swapping +/- wires may help.

Actisense has a great document about the electrical details of NMEA 0183: https://actisense.com/wp-content/uploads...-4-1-1.pdf

My wind system is a Nasa Clipper v2 with 3 wires. For several years, I've been using the Nmea4Wifi multiplexer and it worked well through the wifi network or via usb. Signal K and Opencpn received nmea strings with Openplotter 3 / PI 4.

I'm mounting a new raspberry PI 5 with the McArthur hat, all is well, Maiana works well and Seatalk 1 too. I'm having a problem with the Nasa Clipper windvane connected to ttyAMA2, the led is blinking but neither SignalK nor OpenCpn can read the nmea strings?  
I tried in Signal K 
Validate Checksum no
Append Checksum yes
Remove NULL characters yes
It doesn't work

I analyzed the received frames with a Python code on ttyAWA2 so through the McArthur on uart, it looks like this.

See attached files

There was a follow-up at Signal K level in 2020.
https://github.com/SignalK/signalk-server/issues/970
Thomas-GeDaD modified index,js of Signal K and it should work but it doesn't, Signal k doesn't connect on ttyAWA2

Can anyone help me?

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)
Forget it, I forgot to remove the null character in Signal K. All function now.
Pierre