This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACP1 pilot controller managed by H5000 Grahical Display
Hi

First time poster here so bare over with me if this has been asked before. Did try to search for relevant topics but didn't find any.

I am one of those that would, if I had the means, go all out on H5000 replacement of my existing hardware. Unfortunately I am not made of gold, so a no-go there.

I have done quite a bit, most of it out of necessity because of failing units, but I am stuck a bit in the middle. Here's my current setup:

- B&G MHU
- Airmar DST810 Smart Multisensor
- B&G HGSC (Halcyon Gyro Stabilized Compass)
- H3000 CPU (Hydra level)
- 3 H3000 mast displays (Fastnet)
- ACP1 pilot (v2 so the HGSC is integrated directly into it giving performance levels on the AP without the need for a Hercules Performance Controller)
- H3000 Pilot Controller at the helm
- CTRX Carbon AIS
- Garmin plotter at the helm
- 2 Actisense gateways (one for the AIS and one for NMEA0183 to/from the CPU)
- Actisense data logger
- Actisense programming unit

and of course both Fastnet and N2K backbone to connect it all together. It works like a charm but for one thing. I cannot control the AP from the H5000 display, which is situated starboard front end cockpit and it would make shorthand sailing a lot easier if it could control the AP from there without going behind the wheel (X-35 so the wheel is big).

So here's the question:

Has anybody tested/fixed/worked on using for example the MacArthur HAT to manage the communicating between an H5000 and an ACP1 in the same or a similar situation, essentially making the H5000 displays AP functionality come alive without upgrading to an H5000 AP? I know that B&G states that it's not doable, but hey, they want to sell and make money...

PS The Airmar DST810 transducer (N2K) was a replacement for a failing/unreliable older speed transducer. Initially I swapped it for the depth transducer so the ACP1 could rely on the old and I would get better/faster speed data for the tactical instruments, but then on a hunch I tried re-configuring the NMEA0183 Actisense to send the necessary messages to the CPU and onward to the ACP1 and it just worked(!). The ACP1 is getting BS and loves it, so I removed the old transducer and closed the hole in the hull (less drag ;-)). They said it couldn't be done, but I did it :-)