This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMEA data stopping
I'm new to OpenMarine and have just installed it on to a rpi this week. Both NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 data stops after running for a few hours. Upon starting the Rpi, the SignalK's dashboard shows both NMEA0183 and NMEA2000 connections with activity. But later, both do not show any activity. Restarting SignalK does nothing. Only after rebooting the Rpi will data activity start again.

I have openCPN running on the Rpi and a laptop. The OpenCPN connection on the Rpi is protocol=SignalK, address=localhost, and port=3000. On the laptop the connection is protocol=UDP, address=127.0.0.1, and port=10109. The laptop IP address is 192.168.57.8. The settings in signalK's UDP NMEA0183 Sender are broadcast address=192.168.57.255, port=10109, and use server event nmea0183 & nmea0183out are both enabled.

Any help on what I'm doing wrong would be appreciated.
is there anything which looks related in the server log? It's in the server/server logs menu.
Also, sending data over udp to opencpn on the laptop isn't really necessary, it's already being sent out as tcp on port 10110 so there's no need to convert to udp, see the manual.
How is the nmea0183 & 2k getting into the Pi?
Are there any connections set up in opencpn as outputs back to the Pi - if no instances of opencpn are running does the nmea data still stop after a few hours?
Which openplotter & Pi are you using?

It does work so there will be a setting somewhere causing this.
(2024-07-27, 09:26 AM)PaddyB Wrote: is there anything which looks related in the server log? It's in the server/server logs menu.
There are a few entries with errors:
http://registry.npmjs.org/-/package/sign.../dist-tags failed, reason: getaddrinfo EAI_AGAIN registry.npmjs.org
Jul 27 06:33:13 n2k-signalk: unable to detect can name for src 1
Plus src 16, 20, 24, 25, 31, 35 & 104.

Also, sending data over udp to opencpn on the laptop isn't really necessary, it's already being sent out as tcp on port 10110 so there's no need to convert to udp, see the manual.
I'm thinking I might have other applications connected to the server and didn't want to run into a tcp limitation.

How is the nmea0183 & 2k getting into the Pi?
From Yacht Device YDWG. NMEA0183 UDP on port 2233. NMEA2000 Raw UDP on port 2234.

Are there any connections set up in opencpn as outputs back to the Pi
No.

if no instances of opencpn are running does the nmea data still stop after a few hours?
I haven't tried, but will do so later.

Which openplotter & Pi are you using?
openPlotter version 4. Rpi 4B.

It does work so there will be a setting somewhere causing this.
I sure hope so.
(2024-07-27, 09:59 AM)Phil Dona Wrote: I'm thinking I might have other applications connected to the server and didn't want to run into a tcp limitation.

Very unlikely. I've tried, from memory, over 10 connections with no issues. In general it's better to stick to what the manual says, easier for debugging as well. 

The laptop ip address seems odd - you you have the Pi creating a network and connecting to another network at the same time? Using the internal network adaptor to do both is possible but it's not reliable & can cause strange things to happen, normal setup is to connected to the openplotter network which should default to 10.42.0.1 on op4 on a Pi4. 

Still doesn't explain why data would stop coming in, ou could try just the nmea0183 connection for a few hours & check the data browser to confirm the 0183 data is still coming in, that error message sounds more like a  n2k can problem.

Keep at it  Big Grin
(2024-07-27, 10:13 AM)PaddyB Wrote:
(2024-07-27, 09:59 AM)Phil Dona Wrote: I've tried, from memory, over 10 connections with no issues. In general it's better to stick to what the manual says, easier for debugging as well. 
I'll try TCP after doing other things. Don't want to change too many things at the same time. Big Grin

The laptop ip address seems odd - you you have the Pi creating a network and connecting to another network at the same time? Using the internal network adaptor to do both is possible but it's not reliable & can cause strange things to happen, normal setup is to connected to the openplotter network which should default to 10.42.0.1 on op4 on a Pi4. 
The ip address is set by my LAN router. I changed from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.57.x to avoid convicts with default IP address. At present, all devices are connected to my LAN including the Rpi. Here is the Network information (the Rpi is set to a static IP address of 192.168.57.3):
VNC Remote Desktop (server)
TCP NavBackup.local:5900
TCP 192.168.57.3:5900
TCP 10.42.0.1:5900
Signal K - Admin (server)
TCP NavBackup.local:3000
TCP 192.168.57.3:3000
TCP 10.42.0.1:3000
Signal K - NMEA 0183 output (server)
TCP NavBackup.local:10110
TCP 192.168.57.3:10110
TCP 10.42.0.1:10110
Signal K connection (server)
UDP NavBackup.local:2233
UDP 192.168.57.3:2233
UDP 10.42.0.1:2233

Hmmmmmm, the last 3 lines could be something. The port# 2233 is the port# the YDWG is sending NMEA0183 UDP data on.
Also, the openplotter network app will show what addresses it is using, click the network tab >

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/lates...k_app.html

Looks like you have a hotspot running at 10.42.0.1 so no need to use cables if you don't want to.

"Hmmmmmm, the last 3 lines could be something. The port# 2233 is the port# the YDWG is sending NMEA0183 UDP data on."
Could be creating a loop maybe.
CND! (Can Not Duplicate).
I exited openCPN from both the Rpi and laptop, ran openPlotter with SignalK overnight without issue.
Ran openCPN on Rpi overnight without issue.
Ran openCPN on Rpi and laptop overnight without issue.

At this point I'll keep running signalK and see if the problem comes back. Thanks for your time.