This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Install - OpenCPN not opening up properly
Photo 
Hi 
I recently did a new install of OpenPlotter and have an odd situation that is causing OpenCPN to not open properly.
I have a RPi5 with NVMe install.  This was working extremely well before (halo radar and AIS along with a MacArthur hat)  but thought I would reimage to ensure ongoing system stability.
Startup of system works fine - no errors.  Have installed OpenCPN 5.10.0 stable Ubuntu Debian version.  Screen shown - line that looks like a child window.  But can't get past this and no place to 'click' on the system.  So OpenCPN is unuseable.  This is the screen that came up.  I also did a flatpack install and the same thing comes up.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  And its a fresh install so can blow this one away but concerned it will happen again if I do it.
Thanks in advance,  James

Weird. Have you tried pressing enter?
I did and was able to get into the program, sort of. Then it would quit when I tried to do anything. I finally gave up, reinstalled openplotter touchscreen edition (I had used the standard edition) and now everything works peachy. The only think I can think of when I used the Debian/Ubuntu version, I updated the system first and there might have been something odd going on with a bunch of new libraries. Anyway, works now.
Hmm, so this is interesting. I kept track of what I did. I actually didn't do any updates other than at the start of the process. I then proceeded to configure OpenCPN. Ran O-charts fine. And put a bunch of other plugins in. Worked fine. Configured Signal K. Fine. Configured serial and canbus connections. Worked fine. Then, I see the update on the Pi screen. Run it. Back to this type of screen. It blew away OpenCPN. Had to reinstall OpenCPN. And then all the settings and plugins vaporized. When I reinstalled Flatpack OpenCPN, the errors are starting to occur again. Not sure where it is breaking down for OpenCPN on OpenPlotter, but it is repeatable (I think). Is there a log I can turn on to see what is going on? I want to be able to update my system (I normally just use sudo apt-get update at the command line). Anyone have any additional suggestions? I have had this configuration running for months so I know the system and openplotter is stable...
To make opencpn 5.10.0 work again with all the plugins you need to update openplotter-opencpn-installer to v4.2.0 because it contains all fixes to run opencpn from PPA. The flatpak version is still buggy and needs some fixes from opencpn side.

You may need to reboot after updating opencpn 5.10.0 from PPA and openplotter-opencpn-installer v4.2.0 before trying to install the plugins.
That is consistent to what I had seen. I had updated the installer and plugins and it worked like a charm. It was only when I did a system apt-get update that things go awry so something is changing from what had been initially installed and was working well to not. Will let you know as will rebuild the NVMe drive from scratch with the most recent Openplotter image (touchscreen) and put my notes up here. Is there some logging that could be used to capture any of these events?
Hmm, the issue is with 5.10.0-3 Ver 5.8.4 works so will stick with that.
Read how to get OpenCPN 5.10.0 working on OpenPlotter v4 here: https://forum.openmarine.net/showthread.php?tid=5627