This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
i2c, service not running.
I have two systems, both RP5 and OP4, one at home and one on my yacht. Since 6/9 when I updated something both come up with the message "service not running" when running System Check, and neither have any of my bme280 sensor values in Data browser. The rest of the message is normal, "Checking I2C sensors... | I2C enabled | Access to Signal K server validated" . Barometer last entry 6/9. Rasp-config enabled, unchanged. i2cdetect no problem and i2c program configures the sensor to interrupt 76. Sensor selected and turns yellow, as before. But that is it. No data out. I have reinstalled the sensor, and the i2c program, turned it off and on, refreshed and restarted again multiple times. Access requests checked. Checked with sudo systemctl status i2c.service", nothing found. "sudo systemctl enable i2c.service" couldn't because i2c.service isnt there . Tried " journalctl -u i2c.service" but nothing obvious and dates don't go back far enough. Checked the wiring by plugging it into a RP4 running OP3, no problem, works fine. Repeated. Changed all my network settings since it has taken me months to get them to work with my ESP32, again nothing. Reinstalled, after saving, Signalk, and now trying to sort that mess out, but no effect on Service not Running". Any advice most appreciated.
I have the same problem and get the same message!! It just stopped the other day.

I have a new BME280 on its way because I presumed it had failed.

Pi5 8GB, NVME SSD 512GB, MacArthur hat, OP4,
(2024-09-12, 11:44 AM)Lazzz Wrote: I have the same problem and get the same message!! It just stopped the other day.

I noticed we both had gpio digital activated, and I was wondering about whether in notifications, actions, the gpio pin was related to pull up resistors, but I haven't been able to reverse the problem yet.
I do notice that it often does not show up on Check System the first time it is run, but does subsequently, suggesting it is after later functions are called. . The i2c signal k paths however now never show in data browser.

(2024-09-13, 06:19 AM)aywwa Wrote:
(2024-09-12, 11:44 AM)Lazzz Wrote: I have the same problem and get the same message!! It just stopped the other day.

I noticed we both had gpio digital activated, and I was wondering about whether in notifications, actions, the gpio pin was related to pull up resistors, but I haven't been able to reverse the problem yet.
I do notice that it often does not show up on Check System the first time it is run, but does subsequently, suggesting it is after later functions are called. . The i2c signal k paths however now never show in data browser.

Doing a fresh install. Updated only settings and 12c so far. No problems. Sensor added to i2c, seen in data browser, and i2c confirmed running. Its definitely a bug or an interaction somewhere.

Mine stopped working the other day too. I've tried everything including deleting sensors, disabling and reenabling I2C and so on, but nothing brings it back. Check System shows "Service not running".
I will look into this asap, what are the failing sensors?
Mine is a BME680
(2024-09-13, 05:24 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I will look into this asap, what are the failing sensors?

BME280 and a BMP280 (on different systems).
The problem is not there after an almostĀ  complete reinstall so far.
i had this issue, think if you shut off the i2c service on the pi, remove the sensor, turn i2c back on, and then add the sensor again it will resolve the issue.
(2024-09-13, 05:24 PM)Sailoog Wrote: I will look into this asap, what are the failing sensors?

Mine isa BME280.

Might be nothing but mine failed when I connected the Maiana for the first time!!
Pi5 8GB, NVME SSD 512GB, MacArthur hat, OP4,
(2024-09-13, 09:44 PM)Opie91 Wrote: i had this issue, think if you shut off the i2c service on the pi, remove the sensor, turn i2c back on, and then add the sensor again it will resolve the issue.

Unfortunately this has not worked for me.