This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] 2020-03-24-OpenPlotter-v2-Headless-img: no wifi access point
Hi,

the 2020-03-24-OpenPlotter-v2-Headless-img image doesn't seem to open a wifi access point. I have a brand new Pi 4 + brand new SD card that this was tested on. Unfortunately I don't have a suitable display cable and was relying on remote connection to connect to the Pi. After flashing the SD card and starting the Pi, everything seems fine, but the Openplotter wifi network doesn't appear.

I then tried a standard Raspian version to test everything and got a remote connection working with these instructions: https://hackernoon.com/raspberry-pi-head...2ccabd75d0

Finally I tested the Noobs version (2020-03-24-OpenPlotter-v2-Headless-NOOBS) and that seems fine. About 10 minutes after starting the Openplotter network appeared.

Can it be that the headless-img is simply missing the config to setup the wifi access point?
img and NOOBs files are built from the same files and folders so they contain exactly the same data and settings.

Maybe a corrupted download?
Anyone else with this problem?
Hi, I downloaded the img again and the checksum for this matches the previous download (.zip files). I'll reflash the SD card later with the new img and let's see if it works.

I'll let you know.
Hi,

Quick report. I reflashed the img with the same result. Unfortunately I can't debug this further without a suitable display cable.

Is there any way to mount the file system if the SD card is put in a Windows computer? Then I could access the logs for more information.
have you tried
Code:
sudo rfkill unblock 0
(2020-03-31, 07:05 PM)Eleon Wrote: Hi,

Quick report. I reflashed the img with the same result. Unfortunately I can't debug this further without a suitable display cable.

Is there any way to mount the file system if the SD card is put in a Windows computer? Then I could access the logs for more information.

I will try to reproduce this error asap. What method you follow to burn your SD?
(2020-03-30, 07:22 PM)Sailoog Wrote: img and NOOBs files are built from the same files and folders so they contain exactly the same data and settings.

Maybe a corrupted download?
Anyone else with this problem?

I had the same but didn't investigate much, same card worked with noobs but not the other image.
You are right there is something wrong in hostapd initialization. There is this error in log:

Code:
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter systemd[1]: hostapd.service: Service RestartSec=2s expired, scheduling restart.
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter systemd[1]: hostapd.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 23.
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter systemd[1]: Stopped Advanced IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator.
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter systemd[1]: Starting Advanced IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator...
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: Configuration file: /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: rfkill: WLAN soft blocked
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: wlan9: Could not connect to kernel driver
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: Using interface wlan9 with hwaddr dc:a6:32:02:1e:4c and ssid "openplotter"
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: Failed to set beacon parameters
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: wlan9: Could not connect to kernel driver
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: Interface initialization failed
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: wlan9: interface state UNINITIALIZED->DISABLED
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: wlan9: AP-DISABLED
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: wlan9: Unable to setup interface.
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: wlan9: interface state DISABLED->DISABLED
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: wlan9: AP-DISABLED
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: wlan9: CTRL-EVENT-TERMINATING
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: hostapd_free_hapd_data: Interface wlan9 wasn't started
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter hostapd[1133]: nl80211: deinit ifname=wlan9 disabled_11b_rates=0
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter systemd[1]: hostapd.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter systemd[1]: hostapd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Apr  2 12:56:13 openplotter systemd[1]: Failed to start Advanced IEEE 802.11 AP and IEEE 802.1X/WPA/WPA2/EAP Authenticator.

This worked:

Code:
sudo rfkill unblock 0

I do not understand why is working in NOOB...

EDIT: The Soft blocked status seems to correspond to the GUI "Turn Wi-Fi on" / "Turn Wi-Fi off".
Quote: This worked:
I do not understand why is working in NOOB...

We (AvNav-Team)  have also noticed this behavior. And had to add this quick&dirty bug fix to our image from yesterday.
Our image from february had nothing like this.

Regards
BlackSea aka free-x
Found this:

2019-06-20:
  * Based on Debian Buster
  * Support for Raspberry Pi 4 hardware
  * FKMS OpenGL desktop graphics driver and xcompmgr compositing window manager used when running on Raspberry Pi 4
  * Screen Configuration application added for use with FKMS driver
  * Raspberry Pi 4 video output options added to Raspberry Pi Configuration
  * Uses new PiXflat UI theme for GTK and Openbox
  * CPU activity gauge plugin no longer shown on taskbar by default
  * CPU temperature gauge plugin added (not shown by default)
  * USB ejecter and Bluetooth taskbar icons hidden when not appropriate
  * Version 74.0.3729.157 of Chromium web browser included
  * Version 32.0.0.207 of Flash player included
  * IDLE Python IDE removed
  * Wolfram Mathematica removed temporarily due to incompatibility with Buster
  * Display of package sizes removed from Recommended Software
  * Appearance Settings modified to support independent settings for two monitors
  * Oracle Java 7 and 8 replaced with OpenJDK 11
  * Miscellaneous small bug fixes
  * On-board 5GHz WiFi blocked by rfkill by default
    The block is removed when taking one of the following actions:
    - Selecting a locale in the first run wizard
    - Setting the WiFi country in the Raspberry Pi Configuration tool or the Network Settings applet
    - Setting the WiFi country in raspi-config
    - Providing a wpa_supplicant.conf file through the boot partition
    - Running 'rfkill unblock wifi'
  * Boot partition size set to 256M
  * Linux kernel 4.19.50
  * Raspberry Pi firmware 88ca9081f5e51cdedd16d5dbc85ed12a25123201

I understand now. NOOB installation unblocks wifi before installing any system in case it has to connect to internet and download it.

I will fix this and burn a new img and NOOBS.