This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CLOSED] Major issue : HDMI Vanishes
Sad 
Hello all readers !
Following WiFI trouble I started yesterday a new install from '2020-03-24-OpenPlotter-v2-Starting-img' ...Happily, I had no difficulties with putting the Wifi to work, at least for 5 GB...

But after a few minutes, the HDMI display disappears, the Screen showing the "no signal"  warning, and no mouse nor keyboard action can restore the operational condition of the system. This occurs repeatedly.

When I  VNC in I can see that the system is still running, and shutdown properly ...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

I do not think this is a bug, it seems to me a hardware problem. Both wifi and HDMI issues are usually due to powering problems.
(2020-04-18, 10:24 AM)Sailoog Wrote: I do not think this is a bug, it seems to me a hardware problem. Both wifi and HDMI issues are usually due to powering problems.

Hi sailoog,
I've been using same power adapter and hardware (SOC Pi4 - 4GB)  for months now (adapter is rated 3A). I had no warning (flash display).
I will try another adapter ...

EDIT : Yes, you are right, I have seen the awful yellow flash, and I odered an official 5,1V supply...
Cordialement
Didier B
Pi4, SSD USB3, OP 3.0 Touch SK 3.2.1 OpenCPN  5.8.4 :  Thank you  Thank you  Thank you

Why is this post marked as closed, the issue is still there !
Cordialement
Didier B

This post to summarize the situation:

The issue : HDMI signal disappears (screen display : 'No Signal', the Raspberry is still running, I can connect to the AP and retake control with VNC.

I tried the same µSD card in another RPi 4 (4GB) not using the Argon case : same issue !
Seems the Argon case is innocent this time. Undecided

I noticed what looks like a bug with OC 5.2 : in the options of OpenGL, hitting the button 'Rebuild texture cache' results in the brutal closure of the 'Option' windows, so I stopped trying to use OpenGL with OC5.2, however the issue happened again though at a lower frequency (e.g. : after a few hours) !

All my tests have been done with 3 different µSD cards, all generated from 2020-03-24-OpenPlotter-v2-Starting-img.zip.
All µSD present the issue !

The power supply is a  TOBSUN 5V 5A 25W, voltage measured in charge : 5.191 to 5.195 V : +/- 2 mV, always well higher than 5.1 V ...It is powered through an UPS.
Cordialement
Didier B

When everything has been checked, the only eventuality left is the real one : my archive (2020-03-24-OpenPlotter-v2-Starting-img) was corrupted !
I downloaded a fresh img, burned an µSD card, and the ugly stinking bug was not there anymore ! No idea of how it happened ! And really very happy to have solved the case after the days wasted on it !

WGAI (whats good about it) ?
During these investigations I discovered the following :
  1. In the downladed img, in raspi-config the OpenGL is activated !
  2. In Raspberry Pi, OpenCPN 5.2 is not compatible with OpenGL : hitting the button "Rebuild texture cache" results in the brutal closing of the OCPN Option windows (when openGL is activated in both raspi-config and OpenCPN)!
  3. Use of a "Noobs" download prevents any further file system expansion of any derived copy ;
Cordialement
Didier B

(2020-07-20, 05:39 PM)Didier B Wrote: When everything has been checked, the only eventuality left is the real one : my archive (2020-03-24-OpenPlotter-v2-Starting-img) was corrupted !
I downloaded a fresh img, burned an µSD card, and the ugly stinking bug was not there anymore ! No idea of how it happened ! And really very happy to have solved the case after the days wasted on it !

WGAI (whats good about it) ?
During these investigations I discovered the following :
  1. In the downladed img, in raspi-config the OpenGL is activated !
  2. In Raspberry Pi, OpenCPN 5.2 is not compatible with OpenGL : hitting the button "Rebuild texture cache" results in the brutal closing of the OCPN Option windows (when openGL is activated in both raspi-config and OpenCPN)!
  3. Use of a "Noobs" download prevents any further file system expansion of any derived copy ;

Seems like you figured your issue out. For future reference, if you have trouble with your Raspberry Pi not sending an HDMI signal, add or uncomment this line in /boot/config.txt:

hdmi_force_hotplug=1

Then reboot your system. I have similar issues with mine sometimes.
Didier, I marked the thread as closed because we use this forum to know what is pending and should be fixed. Actually this post should go to another forum. For future posts please use the bugs forum only for openplotter apps code issues or something that needs a developer intervention.