This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SignalK port
Hi,
the SignalK port used to be 55557 which I used when deploying ESP8266 to send data to OpenPlotter/SignalK and display on the instrument panel web page

In the new version of Openplotter this port have changed to 20220, it took some testing of the open UDP ports to find this port. 
Before testing, I looked for  an entry  in the documentation, but failed to find it. It's either not documented or hidden deep inside the small print which I failed to find. 

I would be happy if someone could add an entry in the documentation with this SignalK input port, it might be set in some config file?  
There are some of us who use ESP32 or ESP8266 to send data to the SignalK server. This functionallity is very good when you want to make everything 
wireless onboard (avoid as much cables as possible).

All the best,
Ole
(You are right. In the past when SignalK had no web ui, openplotter set the configurations for SignalK.
SignalK has developed a good configuration ui today. It is not openplotters job to work against the SignalK web ui.
Openplotter has reduced/reduces/will reduce things which are solved in SignalK.
You are completly free to add/edit/delete a connection on 55557 UDP type SignalK input with the SignalK web ui.
The dashboard of SignalK does show you the connection status.
It isn't a good idea to put all the old connections 55555,55556,55557,55558,55560,55561 into the configuration when most aren't used anymore and produce bad status.
I use 55557 UDP for SignalK and add the connection myself. (We send pure SignalK why should we configure SignalK input outside of SignalK-server with openplotter?)
The port 20220 is for the communication with pypilot afaik. Don't ask me why it isn't 55557.)

Sorry I didn't see that your question was only about documentation. So we should document SignalK better and changes from 1.x to 2.x.

Martin
After looking into the SignalK server web page as you suggested I could add a new connection at any (high) port, like 55557.
Where and how this should be documented is another question, it's not obvious as adding wireless devices to SignalK is
not that common. However, problem is solved for me.

The integration between OpenPlotter and SignalK is so nice it's hard to remember that they are two different projects.

Ole
Hi,

I would love to see more documentation on this topic. I am struggling to deploy ESP8266 to send data to OpenPlotter/SignalK and display. I have been getting a little information from peoples posts in the forum but I can't find something comprehensive on this. I have an ESP8266 working with some sensors but I don't understand the settings to get that data into SignalK (or MQTT even). Most posts and examples show the capabilities of sensors or software but do not discuss the various settings and connects, in detail, that must be made. I understand that no one example will cover all needs but I can learn and adapt, or modify, from a good example. Obviously I can't help write such a procedure but I could help in editing if someone wants help with checking the wording of their documentation.

Thanks.
Have you checked http://signalk.org/2019/11/20/sensors-pa...tware.html and
https://github.com/SignalK/SensESP ?

In short the answer is send Signal K deltas over WebSocket, but SensESP has all the details worked out. Even if you want to roll your own there you will find example code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk