This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No AIS data in OpenCPN
Hi. I upgraded to OP2 and rasp pi 4. Did a fresh install. Everything works OK, only the AIS info from the Moitessier hat (vs1) does not land in OpenCPN. I have serial connection pointing to Pypilot, because of gps info. If I switch the serial to Signal K the ais info does land in opencpn... but then gps in Pypilot is not working. I had things working in my old setup. What am I missing?

Ps Also Pypilot gain control in opencpn gives a grey empty box instead of the normal controls. Not sure if that’s related to the other problem...
There should be two serial ports with moitessier hat. The hat itself creates a serial port which is really data from the ais receiver over SPI pins. The other serial port (/dev/ttyAMA0) is the same as always but must be the hardware serial port with bluetooth disabled. This port is used for the motor controller.

If the moitessier hat port goes to pypilot as well the AIS will be dropped (this was just fixed last week)

If the moitessier hat instead goes to signalk node, then you will need to somehow get the gps info back to pypilot. The latest pypilot also automatically detects signalk node server and sends/receives wind, gps, rudder and a few others. This is also only in git and not well tested.

The third options is to assign the moitessier hat serial port to gpsd. Now opencpn should get ais/gps from gpsd, and pypilot automaticaly will use gpsd. I'm not sure if signalk node can get gps/ais from gpsd though.