This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I2c and Imu stopped working.
(2020-07-04, 04:04 PM)AlanH Wrote:
(2020-07-04, 01:57 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: It would be best to try a new pi and a new imu to see where the problem is.   How long did it work before stopping?  What does it do now?

Can you take the pypilot board off and spray it with something to improve the contact to see if it's a contact problem?
I tried pulling it off and reseating, no difference. Unfortunately we're in the middle of a trip so I have limited ability to start pulling things apart. I will say the problem starts right away, even running with the case open. Not heat related any more - something is fried. I'll order a new pi when I get home.

Any chance of an exchange on the imu I bought from you? I don't look forward to desoldering it from the daughter board.

In my case it was the Pi and the I2C. All I"C devices failed. Then I exchanged the PI and the new one lasted for a week. Troubleshooting heat issues right now.
(2020-07-04, 04:04 PM)AlanH Wrote:
(2020-07-04, 01:57 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: It would be best to try a new pi and a new imu to see where the problem is.   How long did it work before stopping?  What does it do now?

Can you take the pypilot board off and spray it with something to improve the contact to see if it's a contact problem?
I tried pulling it off and reseating, no difference. Unfortunately we're in the middle of a trip so I have limited ability to start pulling things apart. I will say the problem starts right away, even running with the case open. Not heat related any more - something is fried. I'll order a new pi when I get home.

Any chance of an exchange on the imu I bought from you? I don't look forward to desoldering it from the daughter board.

It's no problem to exchange, just contact me by email.

I would like to know the cause of the actual problem, and if the gyros actually failed, the i2c failed, or just a poor contact?
I'll try a new Pi first and let you know what happens.
(2020-07-08, 05:22 PM)AlanH Wrote: I'll try a new Pi first and let you know what happens.

I had this problem over and over again, tried different IMU's some worked some not, sometimes it worked at home, it &^&*(%^%^&*%, yes was very annoying.
Suddenly, it all worked perfect at home! Kept running for days!
Back to the boat:
^(&*^^)($%#$^$#%^#
Sometimes it was detected, more often not, i2c scan sometimes saw it, more often not.

Then I realised that I had a 12V/12V DC  converter (for a previous boardcomputer) still in the power supply on the boat, so I removed that one and suddenly it works like it should!!!!

Finally last sunday I was able to make my first test sail with the pypilot!
OK, it did steered completely the wrong direction, but after reversing the polarity of the actuator: like a charm!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HURRAY I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(2020-07-14, 08:23 AM)It Paradyske Wrote:
(2020-07-08, 05:22 PM)AlanH Wrote: I'll try a new Pi first and let you know what happens.

I had this problem over and over again, tried different IMU's some worked some not, sometimes it worked at home, it &^&*(%^%^&*%, yes was very annoying.
Suddenly, it all worked perfect at home! Kept running for days!
Back to the boat:
^(&*^^)($%#$^$#%^#
Sometimes it was detected, more often not, i2c scan sometimes saw it, more often not.

Then I realised that I had a 12V/12V DC  converter (for a previous boardcomputer) still in the power supply on the boat, so I removed that one and suddenly it works like it should!!!!

Finally last sunday I was able to make my first test sail with the pypilot!
OK, it did steered completely the wrong direction, but after reversing the polarity of the actuator: like a charm!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HURRAY I FINALLY GOT IT WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So a short analysis:

My battery supply, 13.3V goes to a 12V/12V DC/DC converter,
than to a 5V step down converter,
and than on the RPI to 3.3V, and that goes to the IMU.
I still can't believe that any noise get's through to the IMU, but apparently it does.

So please check your power supply in case of problems, try an other one.
The noise must be bad if it is actually interfering with digital signals. Not sure what to recommend other than a different power supply, or adding a filter after your supply.