This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can bus adapter not sending data
Yes, I have tried the Actisense nmea reader. Can’t see anything strange there. I doubt the adapter itself causes the problem as it always works perfect after SK is restarted.
If I want to try canboat what du I have to do?
Cheers
Pär W
nothing, canboat is already installed in openplotter, just choose canboat instead canboatjs as source in Sk settings
Ok. I’ll give it a try.
Cheers
Pär W
After removing and restoring the ais connection the other week it is now the ais that sometimes don’t send data. Can bus is now ok but the ais (usb, nmea0183) needs one or more restarts is SK or like today, to remove and restore the SK connection.
Still no errors neither at system check, serial app or in SK.
It really seems like SK is screwing up the USB ports.
Cheers
Pär W
So, is the actinsense device working ok now?
All this now sounds to me like a low power issue. Try to unplug the actinsense device and check if the ais works
That’s a bit hard to believe but I will certainly make some tests.
The Actisense, the ais (True Heading CTRX Carbon +) and a usb-serial converter is connected to a powered usb hub. This is fed by a 5v/3A supply. The pi has a Logitech wireless receiver, an O-charts dongle and a usb memory connected and is fed by a separate 5V/3A supply. The current consumption should be well under 3A in both cases. I never had an under voltage warning on the pi.
I will try without Actisense and also without ais and see if the other’s work ok then. The ais is possible to power directly from 12V. I will try that too. I can also try to swap the pi itself with my spare and see if that changes anything.
Cheers
Pär W
Just arrived home from the boat. A bit confused but also glad!
This season it has been almost impossible to start the Raymarine RL70 radar. 99 times out of 100 it got stuck at the boot screen. The other day I was trying to understand why. I had the radar switched on with the boot screen visible at the same time as I restarted SignalK as the N2K adapter didn't send any data (I was playing around with OpenPlotter as well). Then the radar started up! Very interesting! I switched the radar off and on again and it was stuck att boot. Restarted SignalK and the radar went on. Repeated 5 or 6 times and it worked every time.
At this time I started to suspect the nmea0183 connection to the RL70. It is connected to OpenPlotter not because it's necessary but because it's possible. Smile Can be nice to see next waypoint on the radar screen as well...
Tonight I disconnected nmea from the RL70. Now the radar starts every time and as a BIG bonus; The usb connections to the rpi (ais and n2k) sends data right away without restarting SignalK! I repeated this four times tonight without a single failure. It remains to be seen if it is stable but it seems very promising!
Can't really explain what's going on but maybe someone else can? 
Cheers,
Pär W
Sometimes the sequence of starting of the connections is important. If I start my transponder first, then it does not see an NMEA2K connection. Then starting the system with the canbus adapter, there is no connection.

If I start the RPI with canbus adapter first, then the transponder sees the NMEA2K and makes the connection.

Bram
Hi
Disconnecting nmea from the radar didn’t fix the problem with can bus needing SignalK restarts to start working. Just tried it today. Took five restarts to get can bus data into OP.
The radar still starts perfectly, though...
Cheers
Pär W