This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Route second waypoint issue
I updated the document in the preceding message with some incremental insights. The more I look into the Route Position Bearing, the more i love it. It really does what was advertised and I have already been able to let it steer into a narrow harbour entrance.
(2021-12-20, 02:24 PM)ironman Wrote: I updated the document in the preceding message with some incremental insights. The more I look into the Route Position Bearing, the more i love it. It really does what was advertised and I have already been able to let it steer into a narrow harbour entrance.

Thank you for your efforts Ironman, I have read your documentation of APR... for me, it is over my head.

I always loved the idea of the AutoPilotRoute plugin, I am happy to hear there have been some updates! I am very excited to try it again in the spring. 
I wonder if you could provide some instructions/hints to help me set it up for my needs, basically I want to use it to follow a route and hit way points as close as possible.. Say inside 10m circle? And then steer toward the "centre" of the next waypoint. It is important for my use that it does not follow parallel to the route but on the route, and it does not steer to the next way point until it has arrived at the current waypoint 

I use pypilot for fishing, we troll at 2 mph - 3mph, but there are often nets we need to navigate around. Once I have a path through the nets, I would like to create a route and follow it over and over again. So it is important that the boat not cut corners, especially when turning around the end of a net.
I love the idea of using this for catching fish - I never catch any!

For my purposes -getting home under sail through narrow channels- I've gone down to a radius of 25m at 5kts of boat speed. This makes the boat steer rather haphazard, and I settled for 50m now. But for trawling at 2-3kts you might try your 10m radius, with a large max error angle (up to 45-90 degrees), choosing your waypoints say 15m away from the nets. For choosing the track, anticipate for wind and current.

Tell me where I loose you in the documentation, I'll try to make it clearer. The basic setup is all in the first paragraphs.
(2021-12-22, 11:32 AM)ironman Wrote: choosing your waypoints say 15m away from the nets.

Come to think of it, the difference with the radius is hardly a boat's length, so you might start with a bigger margin.
Do you mean 15M in the route position bearing distance?

I used a much higher value 50-100 meters, it still generally follows the route closely usually within 10 meters. It really depends on conditions and how the gains are tuned as there are situations where without any I gain, the boat will run parallel to the route.