This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Black OpenCPN window after 5.2 update
Photo 
I have latest version of Openplotter running on RPI4 and updated my OpenCPN from 5.0 -> 5.2 today. As a result, 
- OP starts normally, checking the system
- OpenCPN window appears but it is black, despite of 5 dots on the right. it says OpenCPN 5.2.0 at the top and has SOG and COG at the bottom
- nothing else appears on the window. before the update I had Dashboard in use
- when restarting, OpenCPN offers to start if safe more, but the result is the same
- when I try to kiill the OpenCPN window, I need to hit the 'X' in the top right corner twice to kill the window

I did apt update and upgrade. According to Settings (2.3.0) all OP apps are of the latest version.

All ideas warmly welcome!

Br,
Jukka
I did uninstall and reinstall opencpn. Still the same black screen. When I start open cpn from command line, I get:

(opencpn:3165): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 18:59:52.649: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed

Any ideas?  Before updating OpenCPN 5.0 was working just fine.

Jukka
Have you tried removing the folder /home/pi/.opencpn or you can just rename it and open opencpn again to test
(2020-07-18, 05:05 PM)steel_cruiser Wrote: I did uninstall and reinstall opencpn. Still the same black screen. When I start open cpn from command line, I get:

(opencpn:3165): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 18:59:52.649: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed

Any ideas?  Before updating OpenCPN 5.0 was working just fine.

Jukka

I had OpenCPN 5.0 installed and renamed .opencpn folder and started OpenCPN -> 'clean' .opencpn-folder.
Then I upgraded 5.0 -> 5.2 and started OpenCPN resulting the same error

(opencpn:5910): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 21:07:10.246: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed

Then I renamed the .opencpn folder again and started OpenCPN 5.2 .... resulting the same error again....

Anyone else having the same error?

Since 5.2 did not start I reverted back to OpenCPN 5.0. it starts normally, but when started from command line it yields an error which may be related to the error I copy pasted in my previous post

(opencpn:3020): Gtk-WARNING **: 21:59:00.328: gtk_widget_size_allocate(): attempt to allocate widget with width -5 and height 26

Any thoughts?
that gtk-warnings are expected and not related to your issue.
no more errors?
are you sure you have a raspberry 4?
is opengl enabled in your system?
Thanks Sailoog for your reply!

I did sudo apt-get update and upgrade. Then I tried installing 5.2 again - the same results. I went back to Opencpn 5.0.
I did check the 'Use OpenGL' checkbox in OpenCPN. Should I enable it some other way?

Now (perhaps due to enabling OpenGL?) I do have more more and different errors (previously only the one I reported), see below.

Yes, I have raspi4.

Jukka

PS. I noticed that when I open the  'Screen layout editor editor' it behaves similarly than Opencpn 5.2: a window opens, but is nonresponsive and cannot be killed.... 
---------------------
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ opencpn
Expression 'alsa_snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near( pcm, hwParams, &alsaPeriodFrames, &dir )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'alsa_snd_pcm_hw_params_set_period_size_near( pcm, hwParams, &alsaPeriodFrames, &dir )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.front
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround21
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround21
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround40
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround41
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround50
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround51
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.surround71
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.iec958
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.modem
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.phoneline
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.bluealsa.device'
ALSA lib conf.c:4568:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5036:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM bluealsa
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1281:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition 'defaults.bluealsa.device'
ALSA lib conf.c:4568:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:5036:(snd_config_expand) Args evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2565:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM bluealsa
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
21:27:33: Device: 0: dmix

Since the original error did not appear anymore, I tried to install OpenCPN 5.2 again. 

The results (see the link below) instead of a black screen, I now have a blue screen. I can see the boat icon, but the program stays nonresponsive and hard to kill....

The same error:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ opencpn

(opencpn:4284): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 22:09:15.775: IA__gtk_window_resize: assertion 'height > 0' failed
^C
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ 

Jukka

screen pic