This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Latest "Rustic" Build
Photo 
Okay, I guess these things are never really finished, but this one is ready to install in the boat. There was an earlier version that i managed to smoke by stupidly not checking my input voltage polarity. My more spiritual friends would tell me that was just the universe telling me I wasn't ready yet, because the rebuild is much better. 

What is here:
- Rustic box from Bangood. Not expensive, and a lot less industrial looking. Yes, I know it's not waterproof! I 3D printed a panel for the back to provide connections for power and HDMI.
- RPI4 - 4GB
- Suptronics X857 MSATA SSD adapter board with 250G SSD
- Suptronics X710 wide voltage power supply board. (these things are great - input voltage range is well beyond what might come from the boat, and they provide soft shutdown)
- 2-Channel Isolated RS485 Expansion HAT for RPI (for NMEA 0183 in/out)
- SIM800C GSM hat. it is at least going to send me SMS messages while I'm away from the boat - we'll see what else I can do with it.
On the other side:
- StarTech.com 7 port industrial USB3 hub. This also has ESD protection, and allows a very wide supply voltage.
- Connected to the USB hub is a generic WiFi dongle for AP.

I don't need AIS in the box, as I have a Quark-Elec box that decodes SeaTalk, AIS and receives GPS as well. That will come in via USB. On the bench I have an RTL-SDR dongle and a little USB GPS for testing.

Two of the USB connections and the HDMI go to a 17 inch touch screen from a Chinese company called "Porpose". it was fairly inexpensive, and certainly wouldn't be sunlight readable, but it's for below decks anyway. We'll see how long it lasts - it's not the highest quality!

Here are some photos.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/AdhAApD5gMme6gTQ6
That treasure chest looks awesome!
Thanks amigo.
the content but also Smile  Thank you for showing me.