This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Nokia 5110 contrast
I have three 5110 LCD displays, of which two were not working on my tinypilot.
I appears the contrast settings vary wildly between them.
On Arduino I can adjust the Vop untill they are readable

In home/pi/.pypilot/lcdclient.conf I see a contrast setting:

class LCDClient():
    def __init__(self):
        self.config = {}
        self.configfilename = os.getenv('HOME') + '/.pypilot/lcd.conf'
        self.config['contrast'] = 60

Is this the line I should change to adjust the contrast ?
I found that changing the contrast value in lcd.py did not work, BUT
After I installed the IR sensor you can change display modes and contrast via the menu.
I cranked up the value to 61.000 with the old display, which was then almost black.
Installed another display and it was ok.

The menu is not available on the web interface.
There are settings for an RF remote, probably for future use.
Tinypilot even speaks french and spanish, pretty neat.
Can we expect Google support in an upcoming release?
The contrast setting only works on some nokia5110 not all. Fortunately the ones it doesn't work on seem to not need to change the contrast.

What would be the advantage of adjusting contrast from the web? Do you mean the display cannot be read enough to get into the menu and adjust contrast?

I'm looking at getting all the languages working from countries I've sent tinypilots!

not sure what google support is
(2020-08-06, 04:58 AM)seandepagnier Wrote: The contrast setting only works on some nokia5110 not all.   Fortunately the ones it doesn't work on seem to not need to change the contrast.

What would be the advantage of adjusting contrast from the web?  Do you mean the display cannot be read enough to get into the menu and adjust contrast?  

I'm looking at getting all the languages working from countries I've sent tinypilots!

not sure what google support is

Sorry, I meant the html interface, not the web. The display settings are not in the configuration screen.
I did not use the IR control since it only works from line of sight.

I also have one display with the backlight against ground and two with backlight against Vcc.

Sorry, I meant the html interface, not the web.

Voice activated control like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa, I know sailors who talk to their autopilots.
I cannot seem to find lcdclient.conf in the directory specified above. How can I adjust the contrast without a screen to view the menu... its a bit of a catch 22...
suggestions?
did you manage to adjust it so much you can't read it at all? Sometimes if you view from an angle you can again see it.

Anyway, the config files are all in ~/.pypilot

you should find a hat.conf there.

Some nokia screens can't adjust the contrast, others can. The ones that can't usually are "ok" without adjustment.
(2020-10-26, 09:04 PM)seandepagnier Wrote: did you manage to adjust it so much you can't read it at all?   Sometimes if you view from an angle you can again see it.

Anyway, the config files are all in ~/.pypilot

you should find a hat.conf there.

Some nokia screens can't adjust the contrast, others can.   The ones that can't usually are "ok" without adjustment.

Awe Ok! Thanks Sean
 I was looking for lcdclient.conf I’ll try again looking forward hat.conf.
it depends which version of pypilot, just look in the directory