This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenCPN freezes after 20 seconds
Noob setup: RPi4 Buster, headless, VNC. New download and install and upgrade. OCPN 5.2. Everything works fine until I add connections to O. If I add just NMEA 0183 (4800) from the nav instruments in O as a serial connection, it seems fine. If I add only NMEA 0183 (38400) from AIS then after about 20 seconds, the O interface slows to just above frozen (30 sec to respond to the setup cog wheel.)  If I use SignalK, with the serial connections removed, and the network connection localhost:3000, the same thing occurs. I would prefer to use SignalK. I was just using serial connections for testing. I went through the Serial setup and assigned aliases, and then assigned those to SignalK.  For the first 20 seconds, everything seems to work. What's going on?  Thx!
I'm getting random freezes as well. I end up having to let the OS shut it down ("the process is not responding") and then start it twice afterwards because it asks me if I want to start in safe mode.

Mine is with a screen, not VNC.
Mine are not random. They are highly repeatable, at the 20 seconds mark... ☺ And yes, I get the safe mode query from OCPN too.
Could you report this to opencpn developers please?