This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E paper displays?
This system looks like a candidate for a great cockpit display.  I lack the technical skills, so what is the general opinion?
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/build-a...pberry-pi/
https://forum.openmarine.net/search.php?...order=desc
I've built a couple of displays using e-paper: one 4.5 inch display similar to what is shown, and the other a panel meter to replace my old battery condition meter with a system that monitors the batteries and tank levels and provides SignalK via UDP. Both have 3-D printed cases, and use an ESP32 as a processor.

The biggest challenge with them is the refresh time. A plain black and white display can update every second or so - sometimes faster depending on how much of the screen is being refreshed. Refreshing the entire screen takes a few seconds. The best way to manage them is to update the areas that need quick update quickly, then do a full screen refresh every few minutes to maintain screen health.

I tried one of the three-color displays, and all I can say is, stay away! They take up to 15 seconds to fully refresh, and are NOT built for constant updating. The one I was testing with lasted a couple of weeks before it became unreadable.