This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would OpenPlotter work on Ubuntu?
Would OpenPlotter work on Ubuntu?
If I install it package by package at least?
Thanks,
--MG
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

Hi MG,

tried to get it working on Ubuntu Focal 64 on my RPI4.

But installing OpenPlotter on Focal does not work. It does work on RaspiOS 64 bits.

There are complains about GDM3.

Just installed the beta Ubuntu Groovy Gorilla 64 bits on AMD64 system.

OpenCPN is allready in de repository and can be easy installed. However it is still version 5.

Wil do some more trials.

Bram
It should work in Bionic 32 and 64 but not well tested on Focal since 32bits is no longer supported.
All new openplotter apps updates are already compiled for Focal but not really tested.
I have just installed openplotter-settings in ubuntu focal 64 and it works ok, no errors about GDM3 or anything.
There is only a nonm critical issue, loaded sources are for bionic and not for focal, it works but the correct way should be loading focal sources. This will be fixed in next openplotter-settings update and then we will be ready for the next Debian version too when released.
So now that openplotter can work on so many distributions do you really want to build whole openplotter SD card image for all of them?
Why not to create a meta package for openplotter for each distribution which will in its own pre-install script will register
openplotter PPA and have openplotter settings as dependency. Work with those distributions to accept  this meta package into
their official package repository (only that meta package) and the rest will be in openplotter PPA.
In this case no need to build custom SD card images. Openplotter is a set of package on top of any official distro.
This will speed up release cycles.

Just brain storming

Thanks,
--MG
Download BBN Marine OS for raspberry pi 

https://bareboat-necessities.github.io/m...at-os.html

Video of actual installation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zMjUs2X3qU

i have had problems with Lubuntu 20.04 pypilot is for raspberry only? opcpn was missing some dependency would not install, sk installed no prob.
atomicpi has a BNO055 onboard it was on the list of working imu's but not tested yet
(2020-10-13, 12:30 PM)jim321 Wrote: i have had problems with Lubuntu 20.04 pypilot is for raspberry only? opcpn was missing some dependency would not install, sk installed no prob.
atomicpi  has a BNO055 onboard it was on the list of working imu's but not tested yet

yes, pypilot is for raspberry only because some dependencies only exists for Raspberry computers.

Not tried opencpn on ubuntu 20 (focal) yet but if there are dependencies issue could be related to the know bionic/focal sources issue.

if I am not wrong BNO055 was experimental
(2020-10-13, 11:38 AM)Sailoog Wrote: I have just installed openplotter-settings in ubuntu focal 64 and it works ok, no errors about GDM3 or anything.
There is only a nonm critical issue, loaded sources are for bionic and not for focal, it works but the correct way should be loading focal sources. This will be fixed in next openplotter-settings update and then we will be ready for the next Debian version too when released.

Hi. Sailoog,

OpenPlotter add-ons works very well on my Focal version for AMD64. But with the Focal version for the RPI I get the mentioned errors.

Now trying the beta Groovy Gorilla on my AMD64. This works very well with kernel 5.8. OpenCPN is also in de repository. However it is onlty version 5.

Now installed version 5.2 by changing the settings in the server addresses to Focal instead of Groovy.

Works also and is very fast. Almost too fast for screen movement. The plugins can also installed, including the Oesenc plugin.

Not yet tried the Openplotter add-ons.

But not yet working with an Oesenc card and the dongle.

Regards,

Bram
https://github.com/sailoog/openplotter-d...mu-sensors
(2020-10-13, 12:22 PM)mgrouch Wrote: So now that openplotter can work on so many distributions do you really want to build whole openplotter SD card image for all of them?
Why not to create a meta package for openplotter for each distribution which will in its own pre-install script will register
openplotter PPA and have openplotter settings as dependency. Work with those distributions to accept  this meta package into
their official package repository (only that meta package) and the rest will be in openplotter PPA.
In this case no need to build custom SD card images. Openplotter is a set of package on top of any official distro.
This will speed up release cycles.

Just brain storming

Thanks,
--MG

We will never try to build and maintain SD images for any distribution different than Raspberry OS 32 and 64 bits.

Creating and maintaining an official package could be done (you should create and maintain just the Debian package and it would be available for any derivative) but from my experience trying to maintain a official package is a hard work and really time demanding.

I think installing openplotter in any Debian derivative is easy enough currently: https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/en/la...l#advanced but if anyone wants to create a Debian official package it would be great. Actually it is usual that packages maintainers are not the program developers.